Day gecko sudden death

GeckoMamaArle

My little Iris (peacock day gecko) has suddenly passed away. I'm worried there could be a disease or something inside her enclosure (it's bioactive, naturally planted) because the day after she passed suddenly, one of the dairy cow isopods I had living in there showed up dead in the open area of the tank. Could there be a deadly mold or something? How would I get rid of it? I need advice as I have a few other day geckos and one is a hatchling, and I'm worried for their safety. (They have separate enclosures, but are in the same room)
When Iris passed, I originally thought she was constipated. She one day started acting very strange, lurching, almost like trying to push, trying to go to the bathroom. The next day she was very weak, I picked her up and she let me, and once she was in my hand she had sort of a choking/seizure motion with her limbs and head and started shaking wildly and opening her mouth, clenching her jaw, and she died. I can't do this again with the others it was very traumatic. Please if anyone has any advice.
Thank you

TheGeckoDekko

First off, I'm really sorry for your loss, that must be so sad.
Second, What substrate are you using, because impaction could be a possible cause of death, although if one of your isopods also died then, there could be parasites or some other bacterial infection. I think what you should do is take her to the vet and see if they can find out what happened. I'll post a list of what could have happened below...

-Impaction
- viral infection
-bacterial/ parasitic infection
- kidney disease
- tumors
- Cryptosporidiosis( a common intestinal infection)(but mainly in leos)
- other
It was most likely one of the first 3 but I could be wrong.
Ask a vet for better information

Again I'm super sorry for the loss of Iris
I'm getting a day gecko myself once this virus goes away and things start to come back in stock.
Rest in Peace Iris

GeckoMamaArle

First off, I'm really sorry for your loss, that must be so sad.
Second, What substrate are you using, because impaction could be a possible cause of death, although if one of your isopods also died then, there could be parasites or some other bacterial infection. I think what you should do is take her to the vet and see if they can find out what happened. I'll post a list of what could have happened below...

-Impaction
- viral infection
-bacterial/ parasitic infection
- kidney disease
- tumors
- Cryptosporidiosis( a common intestinal infection)(but mainly in leos)
- other
It was most likely one of the first 3 but I could be wrong.
Ask a vet for better information

Again I'm super sorry for the loss of Iris
I'm getting a day gecko myself once this virus goes away and things start to come back in stock.
Rest in Peace Iris
Thank you, it was definitely devastating. Well it couldn't be impaction since she never ate insects even when offered. She mostly ate the CGD mixed with water.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's hard to know what happened. I had something like this happen to one of my leopard geckos years ago and I brought it to my brother who is a (non reptile) vet. He did an autopsy and we still couldn't figure anything out. I can't imagine anything that would kill the gecko and the isopods. It's possible that isopods die all the time but you were really watching for more problems and noticed this one. Sometimes geckos get ill and don't show any signs until they're really very ill and it's too late. Any chance she could have been egg bound?

Aliza

GeckoMamaArle

It's hard to know what happened. I had something like this happen to one of my leopard geckos years ago and I brought it to my brother who is a (non reptile) vet. He did an autopsy and we still couldn't figure anything out. I can't imagine anything that would kill the gecko and the isopods. It's possible that isopods die all the time but you were really watching for more problems and noticed this one. Sometimes geckos get ill and don't show any signs until they're really very ill and it's too late. Any chance she could have been egg bound?

Aliza
I'm thinking it was just her, she got very thin and stopped eating a few days before she passed. My others are healthy and happy. But now I'm noticing that her bioactive enclosure has a lot of tiny white colored soil mites? They aren't red or brown like spider mites or snake mites so I'm hoping they didn't kill her. God I can't even imagine. I'm wondering if a solution of diluted baking soda and water might help clear them? Any advice?

Visit our friends