Day Geckos: Breeding Habits, Personality, Temperament ?'s

KritterKave

Hi,
I recently came in care of 1.2 day geckos through a reptile-rescue situation. I am not very experienced with this species at all, but they were abandoned to the cold, and I do have a decent bit of experience with other reptiles and amphibians, so I took them in. I dont know how to tell the different subspecies, maybe someone can shed some light?

All three came together in one tank. After some research, ive learned that these geckos typically mate in pairs, choosing only one mate for life. In the tank, there were old eggs, so 2 of them must have hooked up, and then theres the "third wheel". I have now separated the girls, but I cannot tell which of them the guy likes better. what I read is that the girls will turn darker shades of green when stressed or rejecting a mate. I do not see this at all; I see the male turn dark, but only sometimes, and I cannot tell if he is just nervous because I just walked into the room and am moving too loud/fast, or if he doesnt like the girl I have him with.
I am still working on their general temperament, trying to gt them tamed a little by hand feeding honey, but Ive just started this, and i think they're still shy of me.
When they were all together, I saw what looked like both playful mating activities as well as territorial competition scuffles, but i i didnt pay attention to who was doing what exactly. took a while to tell them apart, i cant hold them and inspect their identifiable features.

Anyway, any suggestions of things I can do or what to look for here to figure out which of these girls the guy wants to be with?
Thanks!

KritterKave

Here's some pics of one of the females. I have her by herself right now. I intend on planting up both enclosure with live plants and such, but I want to be able to see them until I have a better idea of whats going on with their habits and such.

Day Gecko-Female1.jpg Day Gecko-Female1-Back.jpg Day Gecko-Female1-Face.jpg

KritterKave

Here's a pic of the second female, who has the male in her tank with him currently. I intend on planting up both enclosure with live plants and such, but I want to be able to see them until I have a better idea of whats going on with their habits and such.

Day Gecko-Female2-Shedding.jpg

KritterKave

And here is the male. The last pic shows him and the second female together. See, sometimes he gets super dark, blue/grey/brown. The day these pics were taken, I was in and out of the reptile room a lot with a buddy of mine, so maybe that had something to do with it. Just a little later, hes in the same spot but super vibrant green with red spots. Is he rejecting me and my commotion, or the lady-friend he has with him??

Day Gecko-Male-Belly.jpg Day Gecko-Male-Bright.jpg Day Gecko-Male-Dark.jpg Day Geckos-Together.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
How long are the geckos and what size enclosures are they in? I'm not a day gecko expert (I've kept 2 species myself) but they look like Giant Day Geckos (Phelsuma Grandis). I think for now, unless you want to breed, your best bet is to keep the females together and the male by himself.

Aliza

Visit our friends