Definition of Enigma

zhengzhu

KelliH said:
e·nig·ma
n.
1. One that is puzzling, ambiguous, or inexplicable.
2. A perplexing speech or text; a riddle.

This answer is as perfect as what I can get from the disctionary. :D

KelliH

They are highly variable. Most have reduced patterning on their tails and heads. Some have fairly normal looking eyes while some have more of an orangish colored eye. They all seem to have an overall reduction in pattern, being hypo or super hypo, but this could be because the original Enigmas were bred to hypos or super hypos. Most have a light colored body. I know what you are asking but that's the best I can do, for now. This morph really is an "enigma".

KelliH

This answer is as perfect as what I can get from the disctionary.

Yes, that was just my attempt at humor, although as I previously posted, this morph is rather puzzling. I believe the Enigma is the most interesting leopard gecko morph thus far.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
I think it's more than a simple hypo gene (like Hines line). I do think it is part of the Enigma gene. The tails don't look like any other morph...some are so reduced they only have a spot or two on them.

Trying to explain what an enigma is is hard! One thing, once you see enough of them, you know one when you see it.

O

okapi

Grinning Geckos said:
I think it's more than a simple hypo gene (like Hines line). I do think it is part of the Enigma gene. The tails don't look like any other morph...some are so reduced they only have a spot or two on them.

I agree. IMO it is a gene that hinders other genes responsible for producing the full amount of pigment that they are coded for. Kind of like how the albino gene hinders the other genes in its "group's" ability to produce black. Which would solve the "problem" of them being an "enigma." But thats just my theory.

zhengzhu

KelliH said:
They are highly variable. Most have reduced patterning on their tails and heads. Some have fairly normal looking eyes while some have more of an orangish colored eye. They all seem to have an overall reduction in pattern, being hypo or super hypo, but this could be because the original Enigmas were bred to hypos or super hypos. Most have a light colored body. I know what you are asking but that's the best I can do, for now. This morph really is an "enigma".

Actually the reason I ask for the definition is to translate that into the language that I can share with the local people here. I know it's an Enigma when I see it, but I cannot just make a perfection description for such a special morph. However your expression above is good enough for me to talk to the gecko lovers here in Taiwan. Very much appreciated.:main_thumbsup:

L

LeopardLunatic

didn't the enigma take some fire out of the Diablo Blanco reveal? I know this has nothing to do with this thread but just thought id ask cuz i havent heard much about DB's but keep hearing about enigmas.

O

okapi

most people here are more into bells it seems. And enigmas came from the bells.

robin

most people work with tremper. only in the last couple of years have people REALLY begun to work with the bell albinos (except kelli and a couple others). personally i like the bells the best. enigmas or no enigmas but i think that is one reason why people are jumping on the bell bandwagon. plus they are beginning to see just what can be done with the bells. once ya get bells though, you are hooked :D

Dragoon Gecko

I would like to know if the young enigmas with few spots get more with time, and how enigmas change with age...
Can anyone here who bought an enigma post some pics (at purchase and now), please?
/Rebecca

Visit our friends