dented stuck together eggs please help

Sbkimberly85

so im sure this has been answered before but I was not planning on breeding. my gecko came already with eggs in her that I did not realize till a week ago ive tried researching but I ended up getting confused and different website say different things so if anyone could help id be so grateful.
my gecko laid two eggs today not sure when because I was at work. they were dented and stuck together since I had not planned on breeding I did not have a incubator so I googled diy ones and put then in a tubberwear with lid no holes in moist vermiculite I made sure it was not to wet I set it on top of a tile that has a uth ( 10418293_10204350810878208_6430217146454929327_n.jpg its in a aquarium) . I will go buy a hydrometer tomorrow but the temp is 80 ...
so my question is am I doing anything wrong
should I do anything else

is it ok that they were dented and stuck together if so when can I tell if they are fertile

LeopardGeckoMom

If they are dinted my guess would be the the humidity is too low, and my gecko seems to always lay her eggs stuck together x) I don't mess with them though.. I think 80°f should be ok, I'm not sure though, I keep mine at 82°f (hopefully) for females.
If I notice my humidity is too low I put a moist paper towel over the top of the tupperware and close the lid, they have been fine ever since. :)
To make sure they are fertile I candle (put a light under) them every so often( usually once every 3 or 4 weeks) and they should be a pink color, sort of like when you hold a light under your finger. :)

Last edited:

Sbkimberly85

Is it normal for them to have been hard then go soft after being in the container also how often do I need to open or re moist the stuff inside

Sbkimberly85

Also I tried to candle them and it's like a line green color I will continue to keep them till I guess the smell or grow mold or hopefully hatch

tb144050

Also I tried to candle them and it's like a line green color I will continue to keep them till I guess the smell or grow mold or hopefully hatch

I had an egg hatch the other day...it was originally a distinct green when i candled it (2 days after being laid). The eggs were probably hard because they had air-dried). After you put them into a high-humidity container, they started absorbing the humidity (which is good) and softened back up a little bit. Gecko eggs should never be as hard as a chicken egg that you get from the store. Generally, if you lightly touch a gecko egg, you can expect it to flex just a little bit.

You can try to gently separate them with a wet qtip (to wipe away the sticky substance that holds them together)....but don't ever pull or force them.

As for humidity, if you see condensation around the side of the cup (or on the underside of the lid), then your humidity is "NOT too low".

for temp, you can use the DIY incubators that are made from a styrofoam cooler, under-tank heater, a tupperware of water, and a thermostat. This will maintain much better temp control than any setup that uses an aquarium. :)

Sbkimberly85

ok I will try that when I got home the temp was like 95 i was surprised it was that hot they are soft now but still dented

tb144050

ok I will try that when I got home the temp was like 95 i was surprised it was that hot they are soft now but still dented

still dented "some" is not a terrible issue. I have seen a few of my eggs that hatched, but were dented from day1 (I was out of town for 30 hours, and they must've been laid right after I left..lol).

As for "the temp was like 95", that is toooo hot. anything over 90 may cause birth defects and/or "personality defects" (google search "leopard gecko hot females"). Believe it or not, you do NOT want to make "hot females"...lol

Kjenkins

You don't have to separate them. If one hatches the egg it hatched from will dry and fall off the other. So don't worry about that part. I have 4 or 5 batches that are stuck together.

Sbkimberly85

They are just so dented I'm gonna try not to worry about it since it wasn't planned anyways it was just exciting to have eggs

Visit our friends