desert banded gecko question....

B

Blankminded

I was woundering if theres a reason no one sales desert banded gecko's (C.v. variegatus). Is there a law against it? Ive seen tucson bandeds (Coleonyx bogerti) for sale and ive also seen Texas Banded Gecko (Coleonyx brevis) but ive never see any variegatus for sale. Im just woundering if theres a reason behind it. Thanks

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I raise and sell Coleonyx variegatus bogerti (Tucson Bandeds) but since the C. v. variegatus is a California native species, I cannot obtain a permit to propagate and sell them in this State.

B

Blankminded

0o0o OK... i used to live in Southern CA and i had a pair but never mated them. They were just great pets and i never thought about it. I was thinking about maybe trying to see if i could get a pair again but im not sure which kind of Coleonyx to get. I was thinking about having my friend ship me my old Bandeds.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
In California, if you have a valid fishing license it is legal to collect banded species except the C. switaki switaki, (peninsular banded gecko, barefoot gecko) which is protected due to over-collection. You just cannot propagate them or sell them. I am even afraid to sell my C. v. bogerti at reptile shows in case they are confiscated by the DFG to perform scale counts and toe structure verification. Many C. v. variegatus from California's eastern desert regions are natural intergrades with C. v. bogerti, and are sometimes difficult to identify as such.

B

Blankminded

so it would be ok to have a friend send me a pair from Ca to here in NY right? I wouldnt want to brake any laws or anything so im just trying to make sure before i do anything.

geckomaster

I was wondering what your opinion was in regard to the variegatus subspecies. There seems to be some debate in regard to the various labels. I'm not sure if this is due to the intergrades resulting from the overlap of various populations, or questions regarding the subspecies status itself. I have a group I've been breeding and quite frankly have gotten no definitive answers as to what they are. I believe the guy I purchased them from was from Oregon, but where he got them I have no clue. Is there any morphological data that I can use to differentiate them by subspecies, or am I left to just classify them C. v.v. ?

Thanks,

Mark

Visit our friends