Desperately need help!!

boodles

So, this is my first time creating a Viv for my Leo. At this rate, I think it will be the only time. It looks great from a distance but there's so much wrong with it up close. I really need some help. I added a picture of the design from a distance right after it was grouted before I ran into these two disastrous problems.
Tank1.jpg Tank2.jpg

My first problem is that I finally got it all cut out, some troubles but got everything cut exactly how i wanted it. Now i did the grouting but as soon as I move any pieces or bump them or anything, all the grout chips off!! I've wasted so much time, and spent over $200 doing all this to make it perfect only so my work can be ruined by the grout. Any suggestions why it's chipping apart? I've added a picture to show.
TankGrout.jpg

My next problem is that when I put sealer on it, it all turned like a white hazy colour, any ideas why or how to freaking fix it? I added a picture of this too.
TankHaze1.jpg TankHaze2.jpg

Gah! I'm so frustrated! Any help is really appreciated. I have it just the way I want and am so proud but the grout and seal job is ruining it all!​

tb144050

I am so jealous of what you have accomplished so far! :) I am sorry to hear you are having troubles. I wish I was a good carpenter so I could give some advice. It looks like you are using MDF? If so, MDF is Medium Density Fiberboard. Maybe "HDF" (if they make "High" density fiberboard) would be stronger for future builds?

boodles

Thanks. I used AP Foam Sheeting from Rona, as it was the only foam that I could find for a reasonable price around here... Er.. most of it is that stuff, and the one piece on the right side (and the ledge that runs across) are the crumbly white packing type styrofoam. I used silicone as Glue, and sanded grout for the texture. The grout ended up the perfect colour so I don't want to paint it anymore. I'm really happy with how it turned out (I'm an artsy fartsy type of person so making one of these for the first time went really well as I'm used to stuff like this), except for the grout. I have never used grout before in my life, and it seems to be ruining all my hard work with it's chipping and hazing. Ugh! I think I am going to hold a grudge against grout for the rest of my life.

indyana

I believe your issue with chipping may be related to using sanded grout. What instructions I've read online say to use unsanded grout, then sprinkle the final sealer coat with fine sand if you want to add texture. Also, there's a technique to coating foam with grout. The first coats should be made thin with added water to really bind with the foam. The later coats can be mixed with less water to be thicker once the surface is primed.

This is one of my favorite sites about the topic of homemade reptile furniture:
Fake rock for the beginner

Not sure on the sealer issue. Next time, you might want to try a different type if you don't like the effect that one has.

boodles

Wow!! With that color and the detailed corners, I thought for sure it was a wood. :)

I wish I could have used wood, i, just don't have the tools/skills.

think it'll look better with more greenery in there!

Yes, well, I will accumulate more as time goes by. I have spent enough money for now, I want to finnish with the grout stuff and actually get me gecko in the tank first.

I believe your issue with chipping may be related to using sanded grout. What instructions I've read online say to use unsanded grout, then sprinkle the final sealer coat with fine sand if you want to add texture. Also, there's a technique to coating foam with grout. The first coats should be made thin with added water to really bind with the foam. The later coats can be mixed with less water to be thicker once the surface is primed.

This is one of my favorite sites about the topic of homemade reptile furniture:
Fake rock for the beginner

Not sure on the sealer issue. Next time, you might want to try a different type if you don't like the effect that one has.

Hmm... I'm not sure either. I read several places that it doesn't really matter that kind of grout you use, as long as you apply it in a manner that is relevant to that grout. I'm sure I've seen lots of people using the Sanded grout...

As for the Sealer, I used the one everyone seemed to recommend, I don't know if I just didn't do it right or what... It looked alot better before I put it on. Now it looks all white and hazy instead of sharp and rock coloured.

Whoops, got so busy talking about grout that I forgot to mention that I really love the little water dish holder! Makes it a little safer to put the dish up top. :)

Haha, Thanks. Originally, it was going to go on the ground but then it looked crowded, and I was worried he would slide it off the foam if I just sat it there so I put a little thing around it and glued/grouted it onto the other piece. Theres actually one under the inside of the CoCo home on the left as well. These stairs under there and a big water dish. I'm going to put calcium powder in the little one on the top and use it as a dish for meal worms, etc. And under the piece on the right theres a little container type thingy that I am going to put damp moss in for shedding, etc. I will add some other cool view pictures once I get it done, I just need to solve all these problems first. :(

Visit our friends