Dietary issue?

keeperofthecheeze

A couple weeks ago I had to take my leo to the vet. He had a prolapse. And a pretty bad one that required surgery :( I know those are common in males for various reasons but I suspect it was due to a dietary deficiency. My leo eats mainly mealworms but I do supply him with crickets every so often. I'm wondering though...and I know it's been an argument for quite some time whether mealies cause digestion issues or not--but has anyone else experienced prolapses with mealworms? Should I give him a staple diet of just crickets? I'm afraid it might happen again if I don't.

Also, the vet suggested I dust with a multivitamin...but she wasn't an expert on geckos and didn't know how often I should do it for...Obviously not every day because it would cause more harm than good. Any suggestions on how often?

Another thing I'd like to bring up too is that I told the vet that I dust the mealworms with rep-cal every day. That said, the vet thinks the prolapse may have been due to TOO MUCH rep-cal. This is the one that contains vit-D. Should I not be dusting every day?

Long story short: I don't want my leo to be in any pain :( I want him to be happy and maybe once I've done more research possibly breed him. So I can't afford another prolapse!

Thanks, everyone!

OnlineGeckos

Are you dusting with rep-cal herptivite or calcium? You do need a multivitamin supplement because calcium with d3 is not good enough. Popular all-in-one multivitamin supplement products are Repashy Calcium Plus and Zoo Med Reptivite with D3. You should be dusting with multivitamin at every feeding, or 2-3x a week. Once you start doing this you can skip the side calcium supplement as the all-in-one contains safe levels of calcium, d3, and other vitamins that your gecko needs.

And no I don't have experience with mealworms causing prolapse. But if you aren't supplementing your gecko properly with the right multivitamins, that could be where your problem is.

Visit our friends