Digging

ZombiexKat

Okay so our gecko does something I've never heard of...He dig like through an inch of sand to get to the clear tank....He digs more then our pregnant female...it's kind of weird because he'll just sit in the hole...He does it in one spot and i have no idea whats the reason but he seem so happy trying to find his way to china. lol I think i might be missing something..
get-attachment (1).jpg

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I know what you mean! I've got one male who just seems to enjoy digging in this one area... but he is on newspaper! He really shreds it, but its obvious he enjoys the digging action.

Jetfire

It might be that he's digging down to the relatively cooler glass, kinda like a reverse hotspot. Or it could just be a weird lizard, like my garg male.he spends half his time hanging upside down on the lid of his tank, when there's tons of other spots for chilling out.hmmm, maybe its a guy (gecko) thing, since all 3 examples are males....

Geckomaster743

Thats Funny my gecko does some thing similar like Stand up on 2 Legs Scrunching his face through the class he some times trips :p. But cant that be dangerous to your gecko because hes using sand? He could Suffocate if it caved in on him or lose blood circulation if he couldnt move and the sand closed tightly around his legs. Theres also the chance he could get Impaction and his color could chance and he would become very sick.

ZombiexKat

Maybe it is a guy gecko thing my other male will "dance" on every wall in his tank then go back to sleep. But dempsy is such a pro at digging hell make sure its mostly even and can't fall back in sometimes watching him i think i should get him a construction hat because he always digs like he's tunneling out of the coconut in his tank. and jetfire how does he get up like that? I'd be so worried about him falling but that's pretty awesome. is that one spot cooler or something?

Jetfire

He climbs up one of the perches in the tank, it almost touches the screen.he'll even hold his spot if I open the lid (I make a hinge on the backside of the lid and tank with 4-5 layers of duct tape, so I can just open the lid and let it rest against the wall while I do what needs done).he's a funny lizard.and I don't use any heating or lights on them, so there is no temperature gradient to speak of.I suppose its a little more humid closer to the substrate, but that's about it. I've never seen my females do it , either.

ZombiexKat

Has he ever fallen? That's talent that he can stay up there while your moving the lid around. My geckos are kind of lazy so i'm not sure how they would do if i put anything up for them to climb on but i really want to get a hammock or something for nips most days she'll watch the guys dig or wall dance and she just shakes her head. Think maybe the guys are more picky that's why they act so funny?

Jetfire

Cresteds and gargoyles fall all the time, they seem to be suicidal sometimes. Babies are especially springy.i've had a hatching launch itself off the edge of it's cage and freefall about 4'. I assume they fall Alot in the wild, because they just look around for a second after landing, then make a break for it. I try not to let them practice their aeronautics, but they can be quite sneaky.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I would make sure he's got access to a cool and dark area (hide) just to prove that he's not trying to dig his way out of his enclosure cause it's too bright or hot

Visit our friends