Discrimination and harassment in Mooresville, NC

T&KBrouse

K, the Crazy Snake Lady
To bring everyone "up to speed" so to say, for the last few weeks, we have had some major fire from just one or two people in our new neighborhood that don't want us here. We still don't know who they are, because they will not come forward. We are trying to find out who the accusers are so we can file harassment charges.

This has gotten completely out of hand. After today's fiasco, this is the letter I've sent to Mayor Chris Montgomery and the Town Commissioners.

I've contacted the newspaper. They don't want to listen. If anyone knows of any media avenue that could get our story out there, please have them contact me. If this can happen to me, it can happen to any one of us. This is SUPPOSED to be one of the most reptile friendly states in the US.

To whom it concerns:

Seven weeks ago, we moved into a new house here in Mooresville, and ever since then, it has been a living nightmare. The day after we moved in, we were called by the property manager who stated they were called because we had a 10' alligator unattended in the front yard. We don't even own an alligator, much less a 10' long one. What the anonymous person saw was my Savannah monitor, Rocko, on a leash, being brought from the moving truck, into the garage. Rocko is 3 feet long and weighs a whopping 10 pounds.
Not even a week later, we were sent a letter from the property manager that we were leaving reptiles unattended in the front yard. We immediately called them and they told us it was a second call, they wouldn't say from whom, but since it was a complaint, they had to follow through with written notice. ALL of our reptiles are on the lease and we are in compliance with everything. There was not, nor was there ever, ANY reptiles unattended ANYWHERE.

Since then, we have had Iredell County Animal Control called on us, because we have reptiles. The officer came out, saw what he needed to, and deemed that we were "above and beyond the legally accepted requirements" for housing our reptiles. Since that didn't work, the anonymous accuser(s) went to the next step and complained to NC Fish & Wildlife, who also came out and found us to be above and beyond what was acceptable for safe caging requirements. (F&W here is only really concerned with indigenous species anyways and we don't have any)
That didn't work, so they went to the town Planning & Zoning. I was contacted by a very rude and unprofessional woman named Tammy that informed me since I have a website and a phone number, and the map on the "Contact Us" page might lead someone to our doorstep (which it doesn't) and that I need to get a home occupation license and a business license for a business that doesn't exist. Simply because I have reptiles and I have a web site. (Which she so eloquently referred to as "creatures, because they aren't even animals." Is it alright for personal biases to interfere with your job when you work for Mooresville?)
Today, we received a letter from the property manager again stating that we are in violation of HOA standards and we have until October 1st to get rid of ALL the reptiles to be in compliance. Also, that my son driving for a cab company is also in violation of the HOA standards. Other people are allowed to bring their work vehicles home, but he isn't.

Again, ALL the reptiles are specifically listed IN THE LEASE. The only reason our accuser(s) know we have reptiles is because they have come to the foot of the driveway and looked into the garage when I had it opened for cleaning and maintenance purposes.

I am at the end of my rope with this. Everything I've spent years building and working for, in the last seven weeks has been completely destroyed.

It amazes me that just a couple of nasty, narrow-minded, ignorant individuals that are too cowardly to come forward can be given enough power to destroy people they know nothing about.

My advise to anyone is to stay as far away from Mooresville, NC as you possibly can. This town has destroyed my family, my purpose and my life.

Sincerily,
Katherine Brouse

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
That is a terrible situation to be in. I wish I knew more about the laws out there to help you out more. I am sure that the property manager is not bale to force you to do anything if it was agreed upon in the lease terms and it doesn't break any local or state laws. Good luck with it all.

T&KBrouse

K, the Crazy Snake Lady
Thanks. Its the HOA we have to contend with now. My son and daughter in law will be meeting with a lawyer in the morning.

T&KBrouse

K, the Crazy Snake Lady
NEWEST UPDATE:

The property manager received 1 anonymous complaint (Reptiles running loose unattended in the front yard) - Complaint UNFOUNDED
The property managers also have our newspaper article posted up on the wall in their office with a big smily face pointing to us and "OUR TENANTS" written in bold letters.

2 complaints were called into Animal Control anonymously. They did not respond to the first one because owning reptiles in this county is not illegal. The second call they responded to because it was a repeat call and found us to be above legal requirements. Animal Control's 3rd report was a follow up to give us a written copy of the laws, in case we needed to pursue legal action. Investigation closed.

1 complaint to NC Fish & Wildlife, also anonymous. Complaint UNFOUNDED and investigation closed.

"Numerous complaints" made to Planning and Zoning. Will be following through with them on Monday.

Complaint made to HOA is currently under investigation and as of Friday's meeting, they are still at a loss concerning how they would handle this, but are sure all allegations will be UNFOUNDED.

T&KBrouse

K, the Crazy Snake Lady
Thanks. :)
Everything is pointing to just ONE person causing all these problems. I know who she is, because her son sent me an email, apologizing for his mother's behavior. I just need to have concrete proof that shes done all of this to file a harassment lawsuit, but so far, shes taken the coward's road and done everything anonymously.

sunshinegeckofarm

Obsessed with Leos
im really sorry you and your family are having to deal with this. I have dealt with false reported calls to the local police and animal control ourselves but it was with our dogs and it is hard to deal with when your animals are treated like your children and depresses when you cant just let them be dogs like they are supposed to be. I hope everything gets squared away and this person gets what they deserve for doing this to you guys. All I can say is Karma is a b*tch. Good luck hun hopefully the HOA is not as close minded as the complaintant.

Visit our friends