DIY wooden enclosure

Just1MoreBro

Sooo I'm building a new enclosure for my 2 crested gecko. It's a wooden enclosure and I was wondering where should I place the ceramic heat emitter. Should it be in the middle top of the enclosure? Or like off to the side somewhere. I've never had on before. I still need to add a vent, a light and a mister. I'm trying to figure out the best placement for everything. Also the top is also a solid wood piece. I'm still working on how to add the door.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Do you feel you really need a CHE? Unless your room is really cold, I find that my crested geckos do fine even in the winter without extra heat. I don't know that it matters where on the top you place it if you feel it's needed. The temperature gradient runs from top to bottom, not from side to side. I also assume you've thought about how to treat the wood so it doesn't degrade with the regular misting.

Aliza

Just1MoreBro

Do you feel you really need a CHE? Unless your room is really cold, I find that my crested geckos do fine even in the winter without extra heat. I don't know that it matters where on the top you place it if you feel it's needed. The temperature gradient runs from top to bottom, not from side to side. I also assume you've thought about how to treat the wood so it doesn't degrade with the regular misting.

Aliza
Yes, I have already treated the wood for regular misting. The wood is water tight. It gets about 65-70° in my home. I do have a heat mat that I have been using on the side of there tank they are in now but I don't think it would work for my wooden enclosure. The new enclosure is 24(L)x24(W)x48(H)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
In my opinion, a crested gecko can do fine with 65-70 ambient temperature. If you do decide to use a heat light, as I mentioned before, I don't think it matters too much where on the top it goes.

Aliza

Just1MoreBro

Thank you for your help. I'll hold off on getting a CHE. If I need one in the future I'll just adjust and add one. Once I add the door I'll be able to start with the custom background.

Visit our friends