DIY XPVC Incubator

ssscales

New Leopard Gecko fan!
I was killing time today and started thinking about incubator designs, measurements, set ups and costs. Here are two rough designs and estimated I'm considering and sketched out poorly in a few minutes before I headed out of work today... :lol:

One holds roughly 20/12-15qt tubs as egg-boxes or a heck of a lot of Gecko clutches.... :lol: Appx cost is around $300-$350max with heat and lighting. Probably under or closer to $300 now that I think about it...

The other is a shorter, but a wider design that holds appx 16/15-12qt tubs and will cost appx $250-$300max. I did the specs considering 4 shelves and maybe a design that I could even hang from a wall that won't take up floorspace. But, it may be best to add another shelf and get 20 tubs to utilize the most out of the sheets. Or design two smaller incubators that could be hanged?... :idea:

Pay no mind to the # shelves as I played with the #'s a bit afterward to maximize yields. I think I prefer the vertical design. You can also consider cutting either in 1/2 to incubate about 8-10/15qt tubs for about $150 appx.

untitled1.jpg

Any suggestions? Ideas? Thoughts?

ssscales

New Leopard Gecko fan!
I'm guessing those would incubate roughly 400+ Leo clutches...:main_laugh:

Might be a little overkill for some. You might be better off building two small ones to maintain separate temps for males and females. Let me know what you guys think?

ssscales

New Leopard Gecko fan!
Thanks, I hope to get one done and dry-tested around X-mas before next years clutches start dropping. I'm leaning more toward the taller one which will be kept at 89F 24/7. Still considering and working on a few details such as weather stripping around the door for an airtight seal. I'm looking forward to replacing the Igloo incubator...:D

C

colleen

Hey Gerry!! Very nice designs! Man, can't wait till the day when I need to incubate 400 + leos!! (Steven will prob pee his pants!) LOL :main_laugh:
Nice job, I like the idea of perhaps 2 slightly smaller ones though, as you said, to separate the sexes. But those are both nice. And I personally like the taller one as opposed to the shorter one simply for space purposes since I can always build up but not out. LOL.

Visit our friends