DIY: Your $60 quick-rack SOLUTION (not including heat).

tb144050

This is a creative but simple plan for those of us that either need a small 4-shelf rack system OR need a
LARGE rack system with EASY FLEXIBILITY in sizing. You can choose to build just 1 section if that is
all you need (16x 6qt tubs ....or.... 12x 12qt tubs ....or....4x 28qt tubs ....or...WHATEVER size tubs
you "cut to fit"). Or if you need a larger rack system, you can build multiple sections and stack them
together. The most wonderful feature of this rack system is that, even with only 1 section, you have
options to build each shelf to fit the tub(s) you want......AND YOU CAN CHANGE THEM AS NEEDED!
:D

100_2659_Apr15_2014_rack_building.jpg

.^^^This is 4x "Shelf kit" + 4x Panels = $240 (not including heat).....but it is completely FLEXIBLE for future needs/redesigning!! :)
-----------------------------

Supplies needed & tools recommended:
--1 (or more) set of HDX 18" x 36" shelves from H_meDepot ($40)
--1 4ft x 8ft sheet of white mildew resistant panel, per shelf-set, from H_meDepot ($14)
--1 box of 1" screws
--Jig saw
--Dremel tool
--Power drill
--tubs
100_2658_Apr15_2014_rack_building.jpg

Step 1.
Cut each sheet of mildew resistant panel into 17.75" x 35.75" rectangles.
100_2641_Apr15_2014_rack_building.jpg

Step 2.
Cut a 2" x 2" notch into each corner of the panels (to allow peg-legs to go into the shelf-holes).
100_2647_Apr15_2014_rack_building.jpg

Step 3.
Using screws, attach the mildew resistant panel pieces to the BOTTOM of each shelf. This panel
stores heat UNDER the tubs and it also prevents your reptile from ESCAPING the top of the tub.
NOTE: The screws sink almost flush if you predrill holes through the panel...NOT through the plastic
shelf...the screws MUST "grab" into the shelf.
100_2651_Apr15_2014_rack_building.jpg

Step 4.
Using the dremel tool and GREAT PRECISION, cut the pegs to your desired tub height PLUS the
"length" at each end that will lock INTO the shelf. I have provided some measurements in the pics
below, but I recommend to start by cutting 4 pegs (1 shelf's pegs) with 1/2" extra....then assemble
and visually see how much you need to trim off the pegs. Do this cautiously until you have 1 shelf at
the perfect desired height.
100_2644_Apr15_2014_rack_building.jpg

------------------------------

Step 5.
If you want more shelves of the SAME height as your 1 assembled shelf: disassemble the shelf, and
use one of those pegs as your "perfect peg" and cut other pegs to match.

If you want shelves of other heights: place the tub on top of the current shelf; place pegs into the
holes; estimate the needed length of the pegs CAUTIOUSLY, allowing "peg length" at the ends to
lock INTO the shelf. Again, I recommended cutting with an extra 1/2", building 1 shelf, .....then trim the pegs down to the perfect height, and finally use the "perfect peg" as a guide to make other shelves of the same height.

NOTE: 1 "standard peg" (as it comes in the shelf kit) can be cut to accomodate a 6qt tub peg
ANDDDD a 12 or 28qt tub peg. This gives you flexibility to change the height of the shelves as you
need to change tub sizes. :D
100_2655_Apr15_2014_rack_building.jpg

.^^I keep a "perfect peg" for different size tubs on-hand and marked "DO NOT USE OR LOSE!!" So I can cut perfect pegs out of spare peg pieces without having any doubts before I do anything. :)
-------------------------------

Step 6.
Assemble, if you haven't already, your shelf with any pieces you haven't (such as the shelf-feet,
top-hole-plugs).
NOTE: 1 shelf "kit" can accomodate 4 rows of tubs.....but STACKING another shelf allows you to add
FIVE more rows of tubs. This is because every "rack" needs a top shelf as a lid for the highest row of
tubs.....but 2 sets of 5 shelves, stacked on top of each other, still need ONLY ONE top "lid" for the
highest tubs.
100_2657_Apr15_2014_rack_building.jpg

100_2653_Apr15_2014_rack_building.jpg

Step 7.
Save your extra pegs and peg pieces!!!!! You can use them to "resize your rack tubs" later, as needed.
For example, if your juvenile female "hold backs" are outgrowing the 6qt tubs, you can use those longer
peg-pieces to change the shelf height to accomodate larger tubs.

Step 8.
Add your heating...you're on your own. There are plenty of Youtube videos showing how to install heat
tape. ;)

Step 9.
Enjoy your new rack and enjoy knowing that what you built can be EASILY re-designed (with those
spare peg pieces) any time you want!!!!! :D
-----------------------------------

Last edited:

tb144050

Good deal. I thought about doing this but it cost a little more than what I wanted

Jared Moore @ Lepo-Gecko

For about $250, I got 18 shelves of "rack" to play with. That's:

a) 18 shelves x four 6qt hatchling tubs (1 clutch per tub) = 144 hatchlings;
b) 18 shelves x one 28qt tubs (2 or 3 females per tub) = up to 54 adults in large tubs (with layboxes and multiple hides)
c) 18 shelves x three 12qt (1 juvie/subadult per tub) = 54 individual juvies/subadults; or
d) any combination I feel like I need that month. :D

I can redesign the rack in less than 20 minutes to accommodate different size tubs as needed (new purchases, hatchlings growing, grouping females for breeding, etc, etc). And I don't have to "uninstall/reinstall heattape that is daisy-chained. They are all connected with sockets for easy/quick disconnect & reconnect. (see pic below)

Everything is plug and play...build it like legos.. :)
100_2663_Apr162014_solderingheattape.jpg

LepoInc

When I get by my parents, I'll get some photos of what I'm building. I wanted the same concept (adjust accordion need) but I went on a smaller scale since I didn't have the money for 54' of heat tape. I like this idea, don't get me wrong for a second, it's great, but I just didn't have the funds. I'll probably do this idea once I have the space and money for it.

I have a single unit (4 shelves) that I'm using for tanks, spare tubs, etc. that I was going to use originally but it's outdated and would be hard to find more units (which I would indefinitely need)

Jared Moore @ Lepo-Gecko

Visit our friends