Do you find the UTH is enough for heat or

Latlaw

do you use a lamp with it? I just bought UTH's for my tanks that are meant for 10-20 gal. I have two 20 gal longs. I bought day bulbs of 40 watts to use during the day with the UTH's if needed. I also have two 40 watt red bulbs to use for night viewing while feeding but I'll turn those off before bed unless the house is cold. Sound right? Oh, I do plan to get Rheostats today also.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If the UTH's are working correctly, they not only can heat to the correct temp without a lamp but they may need a thermostat or rheostat, as you're getting, to keep the temps correct. The important thing, in my opinion, is to concentrate on the ground temperature and not be too concerned about the air temperature, unless you aren't going to heat your house in the winter. Most of the time the geckos are in their hides on the hot side so the heat is trapped to an extent in the hide and the gecko should be warm enough.

Aliza

Latlaw

If the UTH's are working correctly, they not only can heat to the correct temp without a lamp but they may need a thermostat or rheostat, as you're getting, to keep the temps correct. The important thing, in my opinion, is to concentrate on the ground temperature and not be too concerned about the air temperature, unless you aren't going to heat your house in the winter. Most of the time the geckos are in their hides on the hot side so the heat is trapped to an extent in the hide and the gecko should be warm enough.

Aliza

Thanks! I'll set everything up tomorrow.

Visit our friends