Does anyone have the ZooMed temperature controller?

Syllvur

What position do you put it in for the warm side. I have a 20 gallon long tank and when I set it to the middle between 80 and 90 it still goes past 90.. Any advice?

EDIT:
I have it turned down just below the 80 section, and the heat source light has gone off. Does that mean it won't work, or will it still work?

SECOND EDIT: I have it turned down to the lowest part before the heat source light turns off.. but it still goes around 88-90 degrees... Is this ok or no?

Syllvur

The heat mat I use is the 10-20 gallon Zilla brand. The temp has rised up to 92 degrees. This is my only problem, I don't know how to fix it.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I assume you're talking about the thermostat that has a dial, but doesn't have temperature numbers. Here's how it works: as long as the temperature (measured by the probe) is below the setting on the thermostat, the thermostat allows the mat to heat and the source light should be on (usually there are 2 lights: one to show that the thermostat is plugged in and one to show that it's heating; if there's only one light, it's showing that the thermostat is heating). Once the thermostat probe registers that the heat where it is matches the thermostat setting, it stops heating and the source light goes off. When the heat mat stops heating, the heat goes down and eventually the thermostat starts heating again and the source light goes on again. I often find that the temperature number on the dial doesn't correspond to the actual temperature where the probe is. I recommend that if the temperature seems too high (low 90's is fine), you turn the dial down, give it a few hours to stabilize and then check again. Eventually you should be able to find the right setting.

Aliza

indyana

There are two ways to do it. You can put your probe inside the tank, directly over the heat mat hot spot (where the gecko would lay). This most accurately controls the temp inside the tank, but it also makes the temperature swing up and down a bit more.

The other way is to tape the probe to the bottom of the heat pad outside the tank. This will have to be adjusted as the temperature in your house changes over seasons (because the tank temperature is affected by the room temp), but it keeps the temperature from swinging up and down so much.

Once you have placed the probe, you do as Aliza has said and monitor the temp on the hot spot inside the tank with a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe. The thermostat should be turned up or down until the tank is the right temp. Keep in mind that temperature will vary by 2-5 degrees as the thermostat cycles on and off, so give it a few hours to stabilize after each adjustment and track the temp for a bit to see what the low and high is.

Syllvur

I've been checking the temperature and SOMEHOW my thermostat decided to properly work so now my temperature is at about 89-90 degrees

Visit our friends