Does my Gecko hate me?

Lauren O'Dell

I got my baby leo gecko on Wednesday December 26th, 2012. He hides all day. I know hes suspose to be a night gecko so thats normal. But when hes awake i stick my hand in the hide and put my hand a couple inches away from him. He will step forward then just stand there for a long time so i stop. I did this a few times and the last time i thought he was ready to be touched, and when i slowly went to touch him, he attacked my hand! Of course it didnt hurt, buy i dont want my baby leo to think im a predator.
Am i doing something wrong?

jenna

First off, you just got the your leo it is not settled in. Everything is new and has thrown it off. Second people are not frineds they want to eat you (the leo) You keep sticking your hand in there is just going to stress him out, so for the time being look dont touch. I know its hard but its best for your little guy. It also may take some time for him to get an appitite. With everything being new it may take a week or less till he eats. Give him time and space. And when the time come to interacting I would sugguest let him get used to you first, just the hand in the cage then gradually move on to getting closer, then when it does come time to picking up your leo start from the tail end dont go from the top. Now you should take your time. A few months should do. I own a tokay and he took 1.5 yrs. It all takes time. Dont rush it. :)

Caleb C

Jenna pretty much summed up why your gecko is being the way it is.
Your new leo is still stressed from being in a new place, and shouldn't be bothered for the first week or two unless you're feeding.
Babies and juveniles are always more prone to being defensive and scared of you, they will be more calm as they're adults, because they know humans aren't bad.
Don't pick your gecko up starting with the tail though, as they will drop the tail if they're shocked. Mine slowly climbed up to my fingers themselves once they were curious.
I started putting my hand in there for around 5 mins a day, ~2 inches from their faces after a month, and they calmed down after 2 months.

jenna

Jenna pretty much summed up why your gecko is being the way it is.
Your new leo is still stressed from being in a new place, and shouldn't be bothered for the first week or two unless you're feeding.
Babies and juveniles are always more prone to being defensive and scared of you, they will be more calm as they're adults, because they know humans aren't bad.
Don't pick your gecko up starting with the tail though, as they will drop the tail if they're shocked. Mine slowly climbed up to my fingers themselves once they were curious.
I started putting my hand in there for around 5 mins a day, ~2 inches from their faces after a month, and they calmed down after 2 months.
Well what I ment by picking up by the tail is, I slide my hand under the tail not griping it then go under the hind legs to the mid section; then once you have your hand under the body supporting the front and back legs then you can pick up. I did not clarify it and they way I said it made it sound like I would take the tail off. The is the only way I can safely pick up my tokay with out getting eaten.:eek: It works every time I use this form of handeling.

Lauren O'Dell

He eats a bunch! So i dont think Eating is a problem. I can tell hes curious when i stick my hand in, but i didnt know itd stress him out

jenna

He eats a bunch! So i dont think Eating is a problem. I can tell hes curious when i stick my hand in, but i didnt know itd stress him out
Well its good he eats. You may be mistaking curisosity for defending himself, walking toward you then stoping is a challenge. Just look dont touch. ;)

Caleb C

My little baby only bit me once, and that was the day I brought him home from the reptile show. I was scooping him out of his container when he hissed at me and tried to bite :p

Visit our friends