Does my gecko have stuck shed? + not eating regularly yet

Hypnogeck

Hi, I have a female gecko (which is my first, so I'm also a new gecko owner) that I got February 27th of this year, and I was wondering if she has stuck shed on her head, and if I should be worried that she's not eating regularly/what I can do to get her to eat.

IMG_1075.JPG

I noticed this last night. It looks like two "scrapes" on her head that reveal brighter colored skin underneath, IDK if that is visible. She also has an actual scrape on her nose too, which has happened before. The first time I chalked it up to her rubbing her nose too hard on her cool hide, which is a resin log that has a rough texture on the outside, because she likes to go to that side at night and climb around on the background (one of those Exo Terra styrofoam ones), her fake plants, and a large rock that I found (yes, I made sure to have it in bleach water for a day, then regular water for two days to sterilize it). I have not seen her shed, but a few days ago I noticed her body seemed a little ghostly (I only saw her once that day, I don't take her out often).

For more background information, she's supposed to be a year and a half old and an E. m. afghanicus (don't know if that makes a difference, I have heard they are slightly smaller and slimmer than your run of the mill E. macularius leopard gecko though). She has three hides, a moist hide on the warm side, a cool hide, and a warm hide. The temperature of the heat mat goes from 89 to 92 degrees F (I have it on a thermostat, it's not one of the ones that have a constant temp, but I plan on getting one of those when I can afford it), and the floor temps of the hot and cool sides are 80 and 70 degrees F, respectively. She poops regularly, but it seems to mostly be the calcium she nibbles at that I've left her in the cage. I have tried feeding her mealworms, Dubia roaches (which I will not use after I feed off the rest, I had a severe allergic reaction to handling them so I have to use gloves any time I mess around in their bin), and Phoenix worms. She has eaten mealworms and the Phoenix worms, but has only eaten twice since I've gotten her. Last I weighed her, she was 45 grams (which imo is a little small), but doesn't look skinny. I can take more pictures, but I'd rather not bother her more than necessary since I try not to handle her much. I don't plan on handling her much until I got her eating regularly, as I read stress can cause geckos to not eat.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to GF! Ideally the hot side floor should be i the low 90's, and when you get a better heat mat you may need a thermostat to insure it doesn't get too hot.
I don't think the patches on the head are anything to be concerned about (based on what I can see of the picture). If they're actually little skin shreds, you can pick them off with your fingernails, but it looks more like early warning of next shed.
If you check her belly, you may see 2 pink ovals. This is a sign she's ovulating and often female geckos who are ovulating stop eating for quite awhile.

Aliza

Visit our friends