Does overhead lighting cause blindness in Leopard geckos?

Geckotopia

I would maybe be concerned with sunburn though..... they aren't used to that much direct UV being nocturnal.

Caleb C

Mine will come out and bask sometimes, even though they're naturally nocturnal, but I buy lights that get warm, and not hot. Basking lights don't work with leos.

Eve Saint

Ok no coil lights for me! DO they definately need the overhead light? One person told me no.

Caleb C

Nope, they don't, the only time I use overhead lights is when it's extremely cold.
A heat pad is usually enough, but I use a weak exo terra sunglo 60w when it's cold in the house.
I dislike red/blue heat bulbs because of the color, I don't like having a weirdly colored tank.

Eve Saint

I once used the coil light, more recently I was using the bulb with the flat top head. I put it away yesterday.

Michaelhinkle

Sorry to dig up a dead thread but wattage over 60 can damage a leopard geckos sensitive vision. Especially if a light is on a timer an he is roaming with his night Vision on an bam the lights cut on. I use 20 watt clear light bulbs. You can always get a tank heater if air temperate is a problem.

Michaelhinkle

Are you trying to put out heat with it? If not get any watt bulb and buy a dimmer switch from lowes an you can adjust the light to however you want. Use clear bulbs not soft white. Soft white bulbs an compact floresents can cause snow-blindness in some reptiles.

Dimmer switch is 10$ I use it to adjust basking areas for my beardies an turtles.

Geckotopia

I just use a low watt ceramic heat bulb on top when its too cold for just the under tank heater.... I avoid light period since I already have one blind gecko. Her vision has gotten a touch better since I adopted her, I actually keep a towel over her tank so even the direct room light isn't on her. The towel also holds in heat ;-)

Michaelhinkle

The towel keeps out fresh air though an collects dust particles. Invest in a adjustable heater for the tank, I use cardboard around the glass to keep them from seeing there reflection an to keep out light. A heat bulb is pretty bright depending on wattage so I'd steer clear of those. I use to use a nighttime bulb to keep the tank warm at night but they don't put off much light. I've always hear if you have a gecko suffering from blindness you can soak them in warm water in a container with the lid on and the humidity will help sooth there eyes an sometimes help improve their vision. Just don't leave him in the humidity too long. If you keep them on sand change to a slate tile, it heats better with a under the tank heater.

Caleb C

I'm looking for supplemental heat. Ceramic heat emitters don't give off any light at all, but are usually very pricy. Are you sure a 60w light would harm their eyesight? Lots of people use 60w's with their leos with no problems. 40-60w is usually the most common for them. Their pupils, like ours, will contract depending on how much light there is, so it shouldn't be too bright. There's a window with a curtain nearby, so there's always a tiny bit of light reflections shining through.

Michaelhinkle

I'm not saying it will in fact hurt his eyes just the fact that the higher up in wattage you go the more you risk his eyesight, thus why I use below 30 watts. In the long run you will pay more $ in bulbs.

You could look Into something like this.
http://www.heatal.com/small_heater.html

There are some other alternatives but clearly the final choice of what you do is up to you.

Visit our friends