Don't Give Up On a Hatchling

30secondstobob

My fifth hatchling took eleven days to eat its first meal, survived and is doing great! I began to worry about day five, two days after it's first shed. I tried all the tricks - enticing by hand, "legless" pinhead crickets, bug "mush" on it's mouth and in a dish, etc. but to no avail, it just wouldn't eat. No poop, no mealies disappearing from the food dish. It would drink misted water droplets that i would spray twice daily. Finally, on day eleven it gobbled down a mealie thrown in it's hot hide. Been all good ever since! :) Bob

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Congratulations. I've had hatchlings grow really slowly for months and then take off. It's nice to see when that happens.

Aliza

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
It always makes us feel good when a little one has a strong will to survive. Sometimes I think we also have to have a strong will for them to survive!

30secondstobob

Thank you both. I never like to see any animal under my care not make it. It's especially rewarding when one that's gotten off to a poor start, pulls through. It has happened several times with my birds and now with this little gecko. Bob

Visit our friends