Don't Use Calcium Repti-Sand

Ruby

Before I had my leopard gecko, he was lving on it for 5 years. I switched to newspaper as soon as I saw how Reico hadn't pooped for 3 weeks. Even after switching his substrate, his poop had sand in it for a couple weeks after. It also clung to his feet, so he had blue feet with a yellow body. Also, would it work if I used moist paper towel in his hide with the heating pad under it? So it would serve as a dual hide that was humidified and warm?

Caleb C

Nope, the moisture would just evaporate extremely fast, and make the tank have a spike in humidity.
The moist hide should be on the cool side. Did he shed yet? The coloring should come off after a shed, as it's probably the dust stuck on him.

Ruby

Yup, now his feet match his body. :p Thanks for the info. regarding the hides.

Geckomaster743

Yeah I have a Product Review about any Sand. It will cause Impaction,Color Change, They will absorb the Toxins from the Color, They will eat it. None of that is good. Good choice with the switch. Reptile Carpet,News Paper, Tile are all good re-washable substrates.

BeardieBeast91

Yup, now his feet match his body. :p Thanks for the info. regarding the hides.

I bought my female from someone who kept her on purple sand, and her belly and feet were purple, but I switched her to repti carpet right away and after her first shed, she had normal colored feet and belly. :)

Squiggy

The female rescue I just got was on sand for 5yrs of her life so I was told by the neighbor of the people that left her for dead. I hope this hasn't effected her health but she seems fine. I put her on repti carpet until I get her new habitat next week and then I can put her ceramic tiles in it. I bought her a PMHerps habitat and if I like it hen I get it I will be buying my other Gecko one too.

Geckomaster743

It is very possible to recover from Sand damage, Switching her to Carpet was the best thing that could be done.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
It's kind of amazing that these calcium/reptile sand products still exist. I guess not because so many people still use them, but they're so taboo for anyone who knows anything about the hobby. It's kind of crazy!

Amanda1

3 Year Member
It's kind of amazing that these calcium/reptile sand products still exist. I guess not because so many people still use them, but they're so taboo for anyone who knows anything about the hobby. It's kind of crazy!
My thoughts exactly!

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
What is really crazy, is the fact that some pet stores push this product. I had a store owner insist that it was ok for Leopard geckos. He had all of his leos on sand.....sad:(

Visit our friends