Dubia Colony Mite Infestation?

serialzombie

Ἴκαρος
Did a search first, didn't find exactly what I needed, so here's my situation:

There are thousands of little white dots, mites probably, in my dubia container. Admittedly, it's been very moist in there. But roaches like it moist, no?

They seem to visibly move (though it may be my imagination) which sounds more like grain mites, than some sort of parasitic mite, which I understand means they should be harmless to me, my geckos, and the feeder insects.

My mealworm colony (which my dubia colony simply sits on top of) seems clean. Even though there are mites on the outside of the container. :uhoh2:

My main issue is that I have an irrational fear of very small bugs, mites, fleas, ticks, and the like. As soon as I saw the mites, I started itching all over. There are no mites on me, obviously. But I'm freaking out.

How do I get rid of them? Can I keep feeder colonies without EVER having this happen again? If not, this isn't for me. I've read stories about these persisting even outside of colonies for weeks?

I'm considering moving my clean colonies and animals to the garage, leaving my dubia colony open, and bug bombing my room. I think the fact that I keep bug bombs on hand at all times is testament to my revulsion.

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
Dubia don't typically have mites that live off of them like hissers and dwarf hissers it is probably gran mights . when it gets to humid and wet the mite colonies explode. I had this problem happen when I put cheese cloth over the screen of my dwarf hissers because the baby hissers could get through the screen. two weeks after doing this I had a mite explosion as you are describing. they were ever where and after seeing them I also began to itch. after transferring the roaches to a clean container and removing the cheese cloth and giving them more ventilation and air floe thus creating a dryer habitat the mite problem went away all together.

Visit our friends