Dumb Employees at work...

N

nora

i dont know what unemployment laws are like in WI, but normally insubordination wont get a fired employee unemployment... there's always a loop hole..

or

you can make her life a living hell and give her no choice BUT to quit.. >=)

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
Ahh yes, than the girl I am complaining about was there. Please, do not be afraid to say "Desire' would not be happy seeing you guys talking and not helping me, the customer!!"

They would think I am out to get them or something rofl. :)

J

Jedi Master Bruce

When I was a young padawan in the 1970's, I was the master of the fishroom at the mall. Now, I am the master of radiology overseeing highly-trained people with college degrees. Trust me, nothing ever changes. You must generally learn to accept the way many people are, and learn to enjoy your work while somehow mentally blocking out the foibles of some of your co-workers. It is the only way to survive at work without quitting a job you obviously love or go insane. Good luck to you!

The NY Gecko

Don't Get So Carried Away
Theres always the option of opening your own store or business, but thats a whole other thing altogether. Make her life miserable there, constantly nag her to work, better yet, when shes on the phone, just take it from her, hang it up, and say get back to work. Whats she gunna do? complain to the store manager you hung up on her boyfriend? shed look REAL good after that.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
The NY Gecko said:
better yet, when shes on the phone, just take it from her, hang it up, and say get back to work. Whats she gunna do? complain to the store manager you hung up on her boyfriend? shed look REAL good after that.

That is the best thing that you have ever said! Great idea :main_thumbsup: :main_laugh:

Milwaukee Reptiles

Gecko Addict
The NY Gecko said:
Theres always the option of opening your own store or business, but thats a whole other thing altogether. Make her life miserable there, constantly nag her to work, better yet, when shes on the phone, just take it from her, hang it up, and say get back to work. Whats she gunna do? complain to the store manager you hung up on her boyfriend? shed look REAL good after that.

While I like the idea of totally sticking it to her, all it takes is for her to lie and say she was talking to her sick mother in the hospital and suddenly you like the insensitive jerk in front of your boss. Then again, you can talk to manager and recommend a new 'No Cell Phones at work' policy, which you could fire her for breaking when it goes into effect. If the call is really that important you can use the ones at the front checkout in front of every else or do it outside the building during your break.

When I worked at sears cell phones were basically banned on the sales floor (if it rang I'd walk out into the mall and take it if there was no customers around). If you needed to make a call they wanted you to use their phones or leave the building (partly for tracking so they could make sure you wern't trying to sell service on the side, or do something else damaging to the company). Didn't seem unreasonable to anyone.

N

nora

like i said.. make her life a living hell giving her no other choice but to quit......

but if you really want to get down right dirty... do what I have done to employees.. take away their cell phone when they get caught, and start talking to the person on the other line and keep them on the line as long as you can..

waste not... want not

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Milwaukee Reptiles said:
Then again, you can talk to manager and recommend a new 'No Cell Phones at work' policy, which you could fire her for breaking when it goes into effect. If the call is really that important you can use the ones at the front checkout in front of every else or do it outside the building during your break.

I would have thought that was pretty standard retail policy regardless; any action which an employee can be engaged in should be one where a customer feels comfortable interrupting them to at least initiate a sales situation within a reasonable period of time.

This means calls should be business only when on the sales floor; or extremely brief (i.e.- "Ring, Hey I'm off at X:XX PM, can I get a ride? Thanks. Click") and those only during periods of lesser non-customer oriented activity. Very little torks me off more than wandering into a retail store that has sales procedures that are designed to force customers to interact with employees (This is supposed to be so the employees can suggestively sell, but they rarely do it unless they're on comission and then they overdo it) and I run into some know-nothing high school kid sitting down on a shelf with a cell phone in one hand and a candy bar in the other like they're on a break... And if they are on a break, they need to get their hides off the sales floor and hide in a back room someplace.

It's bad customer service, bad business and poor employer/employee relations, since they're likely being paid hourly and they're occupying their time with something that is not helping the company.

I'd suggest talking to the management and getting them to agree to certain policies surrounding employee conduct while they're on the clock... and get an assurance that legitimate infractions will be followed up by punitive measures. Hell, time 'em while they're on their phone and adjust their pay scale to indicate the amount of time actually spent working- they'll shape up when all those eight hour shifts turn into three hours of money. Or they leave on their own, either way problem solved.

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
Well good news guys, slacker girl got fired today! Yay! Bad news, I still work with a group of COMPLETE idiots.

We got complimented on the fish room the other day. Someone asked if we got new people in the room in the last month and someone was like "Yeah, Desire' started here like a month ago..." They complimented on how the room used to be unsightly, now they like it :D Made me smile.

It's the small compliments like that, that make my day. Now if only i got paid more... (lmao)

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
RaiQuee said:
Well good news guys, slacker girl got fired today! Yay! Bad news, I still work with a group of COMPLETE idiots.

We got complimented on the fish room the other day. Someone asked if we got new people in the room in the last month and someone was like "Yeah, Desire' started here like a month ago..." They complimented on how the room used to be unsightly, now they like it :D Made me smile.

It's the small compliments like that, that make my day. Now if only i got paid more... (lmao)

Well, now the others know what will happen if they keep slacking off, make sure when you see them slacking off, remind them of what happened to the other girl :main_laugh:

N

nora

ok desire'... spill the beans.. how did the slacker get her stupid self fired?

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
Well she was due in that day at 1 pm to work the night shift. I guess ( I only heard briefly of this and I don't know the full story) She told one of the managers the day before, that she had told A DIFFERENT manager she was going to her friends funeral. When the first manager confronted the other manager, the one who was suppossed "told" said that she never said anything.

Annnyways, 1 pm comes and goes, and we are waiting on her to start lunches. Now with me, food is EVERYTHING. If i don't get to eat, or have to wait to eat, I get really shitty really fast. So i am already complaining, as I want my lunch! 1:15 rolls around and one of the asst. managers comes up to me and asks if she had come in. I said no. The manager simply goes "She's fired." and walks away. I had the happiest look on my face!

But wait...theres more!

1:30 rolls around and said slacker girl calls in. She gets on of the cashiers on the phone. She tells this cashier to rely this message to the store manager. "You can go kiss your ass, I just found a different job" and click.

So I say, SCREW HER! :) I threw her pizza that was in the fridge away too, as a AH HA! :D

N

nora

i doubt she found a new job because that is the typical excuse an employee gives when they get fired.. or they say something along the lines of "Oh i was gonna quit anyways..."

Milwaukee Reptiles

Gecko Addict
nora said:
i doubt she found a new job because that is the typical excuse an employee gives when they get fired.. or they say something along the lines of "Oh i was gonna quit anyways..."
Especially if she called in after the fact with only that messege...

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
Well then she can go and be a bum, I really don't care :) I'm glad I don't have to deal with her idiotic ways anymore. I do have to go in on my day off and cover some hours tho (Grr!) but oh well :)

27th street fish room is far from perfect, and I am going to be having a fish meeting to try and nail into certain peoples SKULLS that we work as a team. I am the coach. You need to respect me as said coach, otherwise the team will lose the game.

Like one of my employees told a customer to put vinegar in his betta's water. *shrugs shoulders* Now, I do know that sometimes we do weird things to our fish, but I'm almost positive putting vinegar in a fishes water isn't that great of a thing...needless to say, both of the bettas died.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
RaiQuee said:
Like one of my employees told a customer to put vinegar in his betta's water. *shrugs shoulders* Now, I do know that sometimes we do weird things to our fish, but I'm almost positive putting vinegar in a fishes water isn't that great of a thing...needless to say, both of the bettas died.

Ehh... It depends on the fish and what you're trying to do to the water. White vinegar is an "old school" method for dropping the pH of water, used in appropriately mixed amounts, when the GH is low enough where it'd be effective. I am by no means suggesting it's the best way, or even a particularly effective way under many circumstances, just that it can be used appropriately given a few parameters and under certain very specific conditions, might be a logical action. It also dissolves water spots and mineral deposits pretty nicely when used on or around tanks.

But like most advice, it's only worthwhile in the hands of someone who understands it. Handing it out to someone who doesn't "get it" makes it stupid and dangerous as a suggestion.

Visit our friends