dusting wax worms

ire123

Hey all!
short version: MBD gecko whose refusing all dusted food (crickets and mealworms) and HATES when we rub the dust on her mouth to make sure she gets some. Today we tried it with wax worms and she ate SIX worms (may continue to eat more!) that were dusted with Repashy. Do you all think this is a good strategy? I know everyone says waxworms aren't nutritious but its the only successful way for us so far to get her to eat the dust. I dont plan to keep it forever, just maybe until she gets more energy and becomes more interested to eat mealworms or crickets.

Longer version: Ive been commenting recently about a leo I have that has MBD. It felt like it progressed quickly from just a few fingers rubbery to her whole forearm where she kind of walks on the side of it. No matter what she always stays energetic and loves to be held, drinks water, has a huge tail, and poops. She's had bouts of not eating in the past but has never lost weight (again - huge fat tail!) / stayed energetic so wasn't an issue and we waited it out until she ate a lot again the next week. However, now we want to make sure shes getting enough vitamins to prevent things from worsening and to treat her MBD. We currently use the Repashy multivitamin with vitamin D / D3. Although her energy is up I dont want anything to get worse. We tried dusting the crickets, she wouldnt eat it. We tried mealworms, she was uninterested. We started taking her out and rubbing the dust on her mouth just to make sure she was getting it, but she hated this so much and it was hard seeing it. Today we finally tried coating wax worms in the dust and its the first time I've seen her tail shake and her look interested in something! She ate 6 right away that were heavily dusted. Do you all think this is a good plan of action for our healing leo? I dont plan to keep it forever, just maybe until she gets more energy and becomes more interested to eat mealworms or crickets.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Well, it is delivering calcium, but she's also getting to the point where she'll only eat waxworms. Have you tried dipping your finger in water, then dipping it in the powder and putting that on her lips so she's getting a paste instead of dry dust? See if that works and if it does you can try to wean her off the waxworms.

Aliza

ire123

Well, it is delivering calcium, but she's also getting to the point where she'll only eat waxworms. Have you tried dipping your finger in water, then dipping it in the powder and putting that on her lips so she's getting a paste instead of dry dust? See if that works and if it does you can try to wean her off the waxworms.

Aliza
Yes! We've been trying to do that for the past week but she really resists and then hides after. I wasn't sure if it was better to put it on her mouth as the paste if she hated it/ was hiding/ wouldnt come out. Or if it was best to do the wax worms which she was enjoying. Should I try to alternate both? Or stick to just rubbing the dust

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's hard to know what to do. She needs the calcium and D3 (but not too much because too much isn't so good either) but the waxworms aren't ideal. Maybe alternate feeding days with waxworms + supplement one day and other feeders without supplement the next time (and don't worry too much if she doesn't eat the regular feeders at first).

Aliza

Visit our friends