Egg laying area

LeopardGeckoLearner

I was wondering if this is a good idea, but I need some info, tell me what I should do.
4f6dda3335fe35da6e276d3200bdd1bd.jpg

I mixed vermiculite and perlite, and sprinkled some water on top of that. Under that is sand, by the way.

DrCarrotTail

They lay eggs in moist dirt. I doubt they'll use gravel or rocks (of that is what that is) and it could pose a health risk if consumed. I use slightly damp coco fiber in a small tupperware and they seem to like it and always lay their eggs in it :)

DrCarrotTail

Oh sorry didn't read under the picture that it was vermiculite and perlite. I'm not sure if its true but I've heard that vermiculite can cause skin burns. You'll want to get the female off sand as if she's laying eggs there's an increased risk she may eat it for extra calcium when laying eggs. You'll need to put the stuff in a tupperware or some other plastic box that retains humidity or it will dry out too quickly for it to be much good to the eggs. I like to use softer stuff like moss or cocofiber since they really like to dig and perlite seems rough and uncomfortable to dig through.

LeopardGeckoLearner

First, they live on a repticarpet substrate, and second I was thinking about puttiing the vermiculite and perlite inside this container,
8f18ebd80e2543309d68e371a421e3b2.jpg

(Soda is for measurement) then i was going to put it somewhere close to there den. How does that sound?

laurahlove

You're going to need something taller, and probably with a lid and then cut a hole in it.

Also, you said you did get them off the sand?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

laurahlove

Yeah, sand isnt the best for them, and I would definitely recommend removing it for good.

LeopardGeckoLearner

Since its 7 40 here, I did it a very cheap way until the weekend, heres a picture.
b84bc4037c2b5d7a207e5feb545a99b4.jpg

I covered it up with the rest of the repticarpet. Is this okay for now?

laurahlove

Yeah, that should be okay for now. Repticarpet works as a permanent substrate too, once you get rid of the sand you could use that unless you already had something in mind :) tile is also a good substrate.

Visit our friends