Egg Laying Issues?

bindidragon

Well, I take Carl to the vet yet again tomorrow since he hasn't "let loose" since last Saturday, but Marnie, my 1 yr 10 month old female, is going as well. Her appetite has been "off" for awhile...won't hunt crix, only butterworms, mealies and waxies. When I got home from work today, she was out of her hide as she has been doing for a bit. She was trying to lick her vent. It looked like she may have been prolapsing, but I noticed she had her hind legs splayed and was bearing down and pushing. First thought...gravid. She hasn't laid any eggs. I've been soaking her to try to lubricate her vent and help her lay. I don't want to wait until something happens so I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow. The only experience I've had with egg laying is with beardies. Is there anything I should look for and/or do for her?

Thanks! Boy, I've had a lot of issues in a short time! Gotta get these rescue gex well!

Geckomaster743

Well, I take Carl to the vet yet again tomorrow since he hasn't "let loose" since last Saturday, but Marnie, my 1 yr 10 month old female, is going as well. Her appetite has been "off" for awhile...won't hunt crix, only butterworms, mealies and waxies. When I got home from work today, she was out of her hide as she has been doing for a bit. She was trying to lick her vent. It looked like she may have been prolapsing, but I noticed she had her hind legs splayed and was bearing down and pushing. First thought...gravid. She hasn't laid any eggs. I've been soaking her to try to lubricate her vent and help her lay. I don't want to wait until something happens so I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow. The only experience I've had with egg laying is with beardies. Is there anything I should look for and/or do for her?

Thanks! Boy, I've had a lot of issues in a short time! Gotta get these rescue gex well!
Hmmm Well I've never had to deal with a breeding situation because I've never bred but i think you should seriously focus on feeding her Calciworms and Mealworms ( Calciworms are for sale from Timberline Worms, Website ). If you focus on feeding her worms with High Calcium/High Protien it may help the laying experience and the outcome of the egg and her health after she lays the egg. CalciumWorms are for sale 25 Each at http://www.timberlinefisheries.com/
I think you should also make sure that she's away from the male she bred with to allow her to be less stressed about food,water and space. Thats most of the advice i can give. Leolover,Styx, or Amanda may be able to help more!

bindidragon

I've never bred any of my leos, either..or beardies, uros. My gex have separate enclosures on opposite ends of the room. When I had them out together, they showed no interest in each other whatsoever and proceeded to go in opposite directions!:confused: My one female, Meeko, showed absolutely no signs of being gravid and laid one egg at 9 years of age!!:) Since Marnie is a rescue and had a birth defect, I'm concerned if there could be something internal as well. I really appreciate all the help...so do Carl & Marnie!

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Sorry, no breeding experience here either. But taking her to the vet is a good idea. A quick xray will show if she's got eggs in her or not.

bindidragon

Got back from the vet and Marnie is gravid!! The vet showed me the eggs in her belly. You can see them through her skin. The look like a red/orange circle. There's a chance she could reabsorb them, but I have to get a nesting box for her because I think she will lay them. My one leo, Meeko, just laid her egg on the paper towel! But I want to give Marnie what she needs and she will get her nesting box. She has a calcium boob and is a calcium addict!:D I'll keep up with the high calcium butterworms and offer crix. She has excellent fat reserves so I'm hoping she'll be ok. Carl got another enema, but the vet said he didn't feel anything except a small area higher up and not low in the abdomen. My girl isn't even two and she's a woman!:rolleyes:

Geckomaster743

Great to hear every things going good. Remember Marine seriously needs to be Vet Vitamins EVERYDAY! I seriously would hate for her to die or the baby suffering when it hatches because of missing body parts.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I second the supplements thing. You've got to really baby her now if she's producing eggs! Congrats and good luck!

bindidragon

Thanks! There won't be any babies though cuz the eggs aren't fertilized.:eek: She can't date yet.:rolleyes: I want her to have an easy time laying them. How often do leos lay eggs? I was a nervous wreck with my little Peanut (beardie). She laid a clutch of eggs once a month from February/March through September. I was a spaz! Where can I get Vet Vitamins? I've been giving her plain calcium. Should I use some other supplementation?

Thanks!

Geckomaster743

You should just use normal vitamins, See i don't feed my geckos Vitamins at every feeding ( Trying to get in to the habit of that ). But for some one with a gecko that is laying eggs She Needs those vitamins everyday!

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
My leos lay about every 16 days on average. They really like to dig, so be sure they have plenty of room and deep substrate. I use a large food container filled with eco-earth (coconut fiber). Keep the calcium available, she uses that to build the shell.

bindidragon

I offered her a butterworm and a waxie and she looked at them and walked away. She used to be a calcium addict and had two calcium boobs, but now she isn't even interested in her "gecko crack." My poor girl! :( All she does is go from her moist hide to behind her mini-Stonehenge and lays there. She must be so uncomfortable. No digging yet. The only time she looked like she was having contractions and pushing was Monday afternoon. I wish there was something I could do to help her. Egg laying season stresses me out!

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Is she laying on the UTH? I've one girl who practically lives on her heat rock just before she lays.

I'm sorry you're stressed, but things will work out! You just have to have a little faith. We're all with you!

bindidragon

She goes back and forth from her warm hide to the cool end behind her mini-Stonehenge. She spends a good deal of time sleeping on the cool side. Poor baby!:( She isn't digging or bearing down anymore. Could the eggs be reaborbed?

bindidragon

Well, Carl went again last night!! Way to go, Carl!! Marnie just looks exhausted. She goes from her humidity hut (substrate moss) to the cool side. I'm going to offer her some butterworms in a few minutes. I'm not hopeful, but just in case she's hungry, I want to offer her something. Before my beardie would lay, she would run around the house like crazy to build up her muscles. She would go off feed and I'd see her try to dig and knew it was time for the nesting box. Are leos like that? Peanut used to drink a ton of water after she laid her clutch. Do leos crave a lot of water as well? Also, does anyone know where I can get some calcium without the D3 and phosphorous? All the pet stores have stopped carrying it.

Thanks, guys! Try and stay cool!:)

bindidragon

I got a plastic Tupperware shoebox and some potting soil. Should I keep the nesting box in her enclosure at all times or just place her in it throughout the day? If I should keep it in her enclosure, what can I use as a "ramp" so she can get in and out without a problem? Her "bad arm" really doesn't work so she has her two hind legs and her good left arm. Thanks!

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Make sure your potting soil has no additives, like plant food! Keep it damp and available at all times. She'll want someplace she is familiar with to lay.

Try finding a flat smooth river rock as a ramp. (I like to cook rocks that I find in the oven for half an hour or so at 350 degrees to kill anything that might be on it.)

bindidragon

I think my Tupperware shoebox is too large...it would take up about 1/2 her enclosure. She does have her humidity hut that has damp moss as a substrate. I was thinking of using a Glad food container and adding peat moss/potting soil. Should I do this or is her humidity hut what she would need? Believe me, I am paranoid about additives. I even pick through the soil to remove small rocks/stones she might eat!:rolleyes: She likes to lay on the cool side of her enclosure. Is there anything I can do to help her/make her more comfortable? I feel so bad for her!:( I know it's a natural thing for them, but she just looks so miserable!

Hey! I'm not an egg anymore!LOL

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Here is one of containers I've had mine lay in. I've upgraded to ones that are a bit larger/taller, so the eco-earth is deeper. I find that this container serves as a humid hide too. Everyone seems to like them! I think the females seem more comfortable if they can turn around and dig. Leos like to squeeze into crevices, so I'm not sure they'd like it too large. (don't mind the gecko in this pic, she was sleeping with one leg dangling... so cute!)
000_0569.jpg

Visit our friends