Emerald Tree Boa

Obsidian Tears

I am the Wombat!
I just picked this poor baby up from someone who didn't want her because she has a broken tail and isn't feeding. Got her home and realized not only does she have problems with her tail, but also a respiratory infection and I guess going off of another friend's observations, an abscess at the base of her tongue. I've gotten her into a very well ventilated cage, and temps into the upper 80's to try to help the repiratory infection- or at the very least keep it at bay. She did eat a small mouse, and has not regurgitated it yet. I know I don't have to feed her very often, although I'm not sure if I should possibly increase the feedings slightly since she's underweight?

*sigh* I'm so frustrated right now. I need to get her into a vet, but the soonest any of the vets (that aren't a several hour drive) that see exotics can see her is the 23rd. I haven't tried calling any of the vets that are a several hour drive away because right now I'm dealing with a "mutual termination of my lease" that's leaving me oh...another week and a half to find a new house and get moved (long story...got an order of protection against a roommate and the landlord is scared that she's going to have legal complications for evicting them...so she's kicking me out too)...and I just don't have the time to try to coordinate everything. I don't really know what else to do with her until I can get her seen. Tips are appreciated :) And I apologive ahead of time for spelling errors and if it's impossible to understand where this post is going...I'm beyond stressed and incredibly tired.

P1011261.jpg

JordanAng420

Is it possible you can call the vets back and tell them it's urgent and that you need to be seen immediately? All the clinics that i've worked in, whenever we get a frantic call like that, we MAKE the time no matter what.

Anyways, her eyes are slightly cloudy and it looks as if she may go into shed at some point soon...but that "abcess" (which we don't even know if that's what it is...abcess would be your BEST bet...tongue tumors don't generally turn out to be benign unfortunately...) is rather large and needs to be addressed. So i'd go ahead and make an appointment for as soon as I possibly could...to be seen right away, you need to make it clear to them your case is urgent. Describe in detail exactly what is going on, and tell them you wouldn't mind being "squeezed in" as long as you could be seen sooner rather than later...passive aggressiveness works, believe me! :)

In the meantime, whenever you take a shower, find a way to put the snake in the bathroom with you. The steam & humidity helps the respiratory system and makes it easier for the snake to breathe. If it truly is a resp. infection, she most likely needs a series of antibiotic injections. It would also be beneficial if you could have some xrays performed to be sure the infection didn't turn into pneumonia...

T&KBrouse

K, the Crazy Snake Lady
Its just so heartbreaking to see an animal like that. Shes in good hands now. Please keep us updated on how shes doing.

Obsidian Tears

I am the Wombat!
Is it possible you can call the vets back and tell them it's urgent and that you need to be seen immediately? All the clinics that i've worked in, whenever we get a frantic call like that, we MAKE the time no matter what.

Anyways, her eyes are slightly cloudy and it looks as if she may go into shed at some point soon...but that "abcess" (which we don't even know if that's what it is...abcess would be your BEST bet...tongue tumors don't generally turn out to be benign unfortunately...) is rather large and needs to be addressed. So i'd go ahead and make an appointment for as soon as I possibly could...to be seen right away, you need to make it clear to them your case is urgent. Describe in detail exactly what is going on, and tell them you wouldn't mind being "squeezed in" as long as you could be seen sooner rather than later...passive aggressiveness works, believe me! :)

In the meantime, whenever you take a shower, find a way to put the snake in the bathroom with you. The steam & humidity helps the respiratory system and makes it easier for the snake to breathe. If it truly is a resp. infection, she most likely needs a series of antibiotic injections. It would also be beneficial if you could have some xrays performed to be sure the infection didn't turn into pneumonia...

Thank you for the advice! We managed to get one coming up in a couple of days, so hopefully everything will turn out ok. Her skin has improved drastically since I took those pictures, she shed and it no longer has that dehydrated appearance to it. Her nose has also cleared up, and she isn't struggling to breathe- or at least I can't hear it anymore and I can't see her body struggling when she's breathing. So perhaps it wasn't an infection? Her coils have gotten a lot tighter also. So hopefully, all that will still keep improving and the vet will only have to deal with that hard mass on her neck. Probably not going to pan out that way, but here's to hoping for a semi-not-going-to-drop-me-to-the-floor vet bill. :main_rolleyes:

If it is a tumor, what happens to the snake? Do they try to remove it, or is it suggested the snake be put down? I suppose that's a really broad question that depends on if it looks like the snake would even survive the surgery.

Obsidian Tears

I am the Wombat!
Its just so heartbreaking to see an animal like that. Shes in good hands now. Please keep us updated on how shes doing.

It's very frustrating that it takes an animal getting like that for someone to realize they can't care for it. I really hope she can be turned around and that it's not too late- she definitely seems to have a will to live left. I've had people give animals to me that you can just tell they've given up already, and I don't see that when I look at her. I think right now it's just a matter of getting her the additional help asap.

Ian S.

What a bummer & Good luck! ETB's' are the coolest. It is absolutely amazing that she ate the mouse for you. I can't even tell you how "key" that alone is. Emeralds can be so temperamental and tuff to turn around and get feeding again. Even without a respiratory infection lol. I would leave her alone and covered in a stress/noise free (as poss.) area for at least 24 hrs after the feed. Keep it very warm 90 - 92 f. and as low humidity as possible for sake of the infection untill the vet can be seen.

Last edited:

Visit our friends