Escaped African Fat Tails

Kimyoonmi

I have 2 escaped African fat tails and I've tried to look in every nook and cranny for them, but they seem to hide in a different place than Leopard Geckos (Which I also own). I was wondering if anyone had tips for setting their traps more effectively. I find that my two are more shy? And are more likely to escape in the night compared to Leopard geckos. I've been able to find my leopard geckos easily when they escape. (I promise it's not all the time–once because she bolted, and then I was able to retrieve her).

The first one escaped after I recovered her for one day because I temporarily put her in a rack system but she figured out how to get out. I had water, shelter, food, moisture, etc. One day. And then she was gone the next. 'cause I had to figure out accomodations for her. She was gone for months to the point I thought she'd died. She escaped the first time because I forgot to close the door to her front loading enclosure. She has a bioactive set up. But I've never figured out why she hates it so much. She has a history of liking to joy ride and get out of her enclosure.

The second African fat Tail, is a male, and was steadily coming out of his winter hibernation by eating large amounts of Dubia roaches, which he loves, somehow more than crickets. I have no idea how he got out. The lid is a screen lid, but held down tightly and the doors are sliding. I'm his second owner, 'cause under is previous owner he lost part of his tail and ended up in the pet shop labeled as a leopard gecko of all things. He's very chill, though he has this thing were if I try to handle him he always walks backwards. Iunno if it was because his previous owner abused him or something because I've never seen another gecko do this.

I've used the techniques for Leopard Geckos, but those don't seem to work on African fat tails. Any ideas on what African Fat Tails like would help. I've put out bottle traps, water, etc. I live in a studio apartment. It's currently summer--I've had more luck in the winter. I've run out of ideas and the management wants to fumigate my place... so how to find one faster would really help. (They won't fumigate them with them escaped, but still...)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I've owned both and do find AFT's to be more likely to hide but I don't think there's anything different you can do. Keep it up and hope for the best. I once found an escaped leopard gecko hatchling after 2 years! (Obviously it wasn't a hatchling anymore).

Aliza

Kimyoonmi

Thanks. I found one. The male. I looked under his shelf during the day, but I couldn't see him. I went to the bathroom and then he stuck his head out from under his cage shelf in that direction–what's going on? I tried to lure him with a dubia roach, but he ran away, so after half an hour of trying to convince him with an LED flashlight, he finally came out under his pulled out cage. Then I caught him, but he bit me <I is wild gecko Hahaha>, so I used a cloth to put him back. He's now acting like I should feed him.

One down, one to go. Female is far more difficult to find. She's far more shy and night active. BUT she's definitely not under his shelf or the other shelf. I could really use some luck finding her.

Kimyoonmi

Did you manage to find the last one?
TT I found her dead. I swore I saw her a few times but she was too fast for me to catch her and I thought I was hallucinating. I'm heartbroken. Meanwhile the male managed to figure out how to open his sliding door... soo... worked on fixing that and caught him. But now in hybernation and OK. But still heartbroken over my female gecko.

I left out water, food, even let a few crickets loose in my apartment and hunted for her every day in all of the popular spots.

Visit our friends