Euthanasia

BeardieBeast91

Hi, ***I would first like to say that it is not my fault that this lizard is suffering****. Anyway, a person I know had a leopard gecko that got very sick. They knew that I own reptiles and that I take passion in caring for my animals and that I take great care of my animals, so they gave me the gecko. She had mouthrot and was blind from a bad shed when I got her. They cared for her mostly properly, so I'm not sure how she developed the problem. Anyway, she wont eat, and basically is only relying on the fat stored in her tail. I do not want to pay the ridiculous vet fee unless I have to in order to put her down. I would like to put her down at home if possible, and I was reading that putting them in a fridge until they go unconscious and then freezing them is a good way to do it, but I always read that it isn't from a different site. I also read about exposing her to carbon monoxide and letting her pass out. I want her to have as less suffering as possible and would like to humanely put her down. Please give me your input.

Rylee

3 Year Member
DO NOT PUT HER IN THE FREEZER!! Contrary to popular belief, death by freezing is actually quite painful for reptiles because ice crystals form on the brain (or something like that), a very painful death. Maybe carbon monoxide, but i believe taking her to get put down by a vet is probably the best way to go...

BeardieBeast91

DO NOT PUT HER IN THE FREEZER!! Contrary to popular belief, death by freezing is actually quite painful for reptiles because ice crystals form on the brain (or something like that), a very painful death. Maybe carbon monoxide, but i believe taking her to get put down by a vet is probably the best way to go...
I completely agree. Don't worry, I wouldn't do anything until I know for sure that it is safe. Thanks for the input.

Caleb C

Yeah, putting them in the fridge will be very slow and painful. Ice crystals will form in their body, and pretty much pierce them from the inside out. I'd gas them or go to the vet to have them put her asleep.
Some places say it would cost around $30, maybe less. Call your closest vet and ask for a quote or something.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Always a tough subject for sure. I think a vet is probably the best bet. Hopefully they can do something humane that isn't too expensive. Sorry you have to go through this!

Visit our friends