Euthanization - Best course of action?

JordanAng420

This thread is a perfect example of why people shouldn't jump to conclusions, and why animals should not be diagnosed on an internet forum. There's ALWAYS more to the story.

With that said, Connor, I applaud you for having the courage to speak up and post here. And i'm impressed with the way you dealt with the first few responses. Excellent job. Your little leo sounds like he needs a good "once-over" by an experianced herp vet. See if you can collect a fresh fecal sample before you go there. Be prepared to answer a ton of questions about him & his husbandry...

Euthanasia is a decision that you have to make. I suggest you find out what exactly is wrong with him first, and then make your educated decision based on advice from your vet. Good luck, Connor. :)

Riyo

Pet Human
This thread is a perfect example of why people shouldn't jump to conclusions, and why animals should not be diagnosed on an internet forum. There's ALWAYS more to the story.

With that said, Connor, I applaud you for having the courage to speak up and post here. And i'm impressed with the way you dealt with the first few responses. Excellent job. Your little leo sounds like he needs a good "once-over" by an experianced herp vet. See if you can collect a fresh fecal sample before you go there. Be prepared to answer a ton of questions about him & his husbandry...

Euthanasia is a decision that you have to make. I suggest you find out what exactly is wrong with him first, and then make your educated decision based on advice from your vet. Good luck, Connor. :)

Well said!

t04jas

While what you said is true, you have to admit, most people would not assume that after not eating for 3-4 days, euthanasia is the only viable option. I don't think I was jumping to conclusions, and most somewhat educated people would know that the many reptiles can go quite some time without eating before they become seriously ill.

C

Condawg

So that there's not the slightest confusion with the situation, this hasn't happened just recently, this was a few months ago, and his condition hasn't improved; it's actually worsened.

JordanAng420

So, you starved him? The least you can do for him now is have a vet put him down as painlessly as possible, even if it does cost you a few bucks. Don't you think you owe him that at least?

Josh, i'm not going to argue with you. But please, if this isn't jumping to conclusions, then I don't know what is.

All i'm saying is that, before you go making an assumption of starvation, you need to PHYSICALLY see the animal and RUN DIAGNOSTIC TESTS before you can LEGALLY diagnose an animal as being a victim of "starvation".

JordanAng420

and most somewhat educated people would know that the many reptiles can go quite some time without eating before they become seriously ill.

And are you insulting my education??? If you want to take this to the fight club that's fine with me!!!!LETS GO!

t04jas

I agree, lets not argue, we were clearly using different definitions of the word. I was using starve to mean "to deprive of nourishment". Apparently you had a different definition in mind, and I'll leave it at that.

Edit: I appear to have derailed this discussion, I apologize to the OP. I hope you are able to get your leo healthy again, and don't give up on him unless the vet tells you there's no other choice!

Josh, i'm not going to argue with you. But please, if this isn't jumping to conclusions, then I don't know what is.

All i'm saying is that, before you go making an assumption of starvation, you need to PHYSICALLY see the animal and RUN DIAGNOSTIC TESTS before you can LEGALLY diagnose an animal as being a victim of "starvation".

Last edited:
C

Condawg

As much as I would love to take him to the vet and hope that they could diagnose him of something that's not fatal so I wouldn't have to put him down, I can't afford that. My brother told me that they'd have to take x-rays and stuff, which costs $80, and I get paid $50 bi-weekly. That $80 is just for the x-rays; other stuff would come on top of that, and it's just unaffordable, unfortunately.
To cover the whole cost, I'd probably have to save up for two months or so, and that would be without spending any money that I get at all.

t04jas

Before we go jumping to conclusions, I was actually referring to the OP. I have no intentions of meeting you in the fight club, and I was not insulting your education, in fact, other than knowing you are a CVT, I have no idea what sort of education you have. I've never been to the "fight club" on this forum, and I don't intend to go there, as I believe it's extremely silly, and this is the first forum that I've encountered with a designated "fighting" area.

And are you insulting my education??? If you want to take this to the fight club that's fine with me!!!!LETS GO!

Alusdra

Maybe your parents or someone else can help you with the cost? Otherwise you need to find a rescue or shelter that will take him in, or call around to vets and/or shelters to see if they will either take him or euthanize him for you for less money. I understand you situation, but just because you don't have any money doesn't mean that your gecko does not need medical care. Perhaps someone here on the forum might be able to take him? Maybe you could try posting in Adoption, with some pictures and a clear history.

sleepyjones

I assume your in America?

Over here in the UK, Vets are generally more concerned for the welfair of the animal, so a lot of them will allow you to setup a payment plan, so you maybe pay for example £5 a week towards the cost of your animals welfare, untill the amount is paid off.

Might be worth phoning around and see if any of the vets will do that for you?

Visit our friends