Every other day

Hi so I was told my leopard gecko I got to that we named Izzy is 3 years old almost 4 and I was wondering how much should I feed her? Everyone says something different. I heard about the measuring thing but I don't know how to do that exactly. We are thinking either Monday, Tuesday Wednesday or more likely Monday, Wednesday, Friday. And I got zoo Med's Reptivite reptile vitamins with D3 and Repti Calcium with D3. She does have a little container of the D3 in her tank. But I was wondering how will the vitamins work? Do I dust the bugs once a week or? Can someone plz explain as everyone says differently. 16733142148062032632462638744882.jpg 16733142595912306950409609545614.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There isn't going to be a single way to do things because more than one way works. I can describe what I do and if you like it, you can try it too. I have 21 leopard geckos ranging in age from nearly 6 to nearly 19. They are in 17 different enclosures. I feed them twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays (a few of them do the "hunting" thing at odd hours when they see me and I give them a few superworms or crickets when that happens). I use Repashy Calcium Plus which is an all-in-one calcium, D3 and vitamin. I've been using it since 2008. I don't leave any calcium in the enclosure because they can overdose on it (the only exception was when I was breeding them and I'd leave plain calcium in the newly hatched gecko cages because I noticed that some of them weren't getting enough calcium from the feeders and were showing early signs of MBD). I only dust my feeders on Thursdays, so supplementation happens once a week, or, every other feeding. The geckos are thriving, which is especially good since my entire reptile collection has been cryptosporidiosis positive since 2017. Let me know if you have any questions.

Aliza

Thank you so much! Is feeding her Monday, Wednesday and Friday too much or no? Thank you for that advice I took a screenshot because I am going to read what you said to my mom because we are both new to this whole thing and I found out they overdose or even underdose I think it's called and I really don't want that to happen. She doesn't seem to really touch the calcium in her tank. I will post a pic of her cage in the cage section it's basically set up like how the person who rescued her and two other geckos had it. I might just get that repashy after all. It's kind of expensive but it should last awhile I think. Do you have any other advice? I'm trying to figure out how many worms to feed her. Right now she is only eating mealworms because I accidentally killed the superworms and I'm pretty sure also the waxworms so she is only eating mealworms and giant mealworms but I get paid on the 19th and am planning on buying some dubia roaches and more Mealworms and maybe another type of bug like superworms online.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The nice thing about mealworms is that you can put a bunch in the bowl and they can stay there for awhile. Put some feeders in and if the gecko eats them all right away, put in more. If it never seems to finish that amount of feeders put in less. Don't bother with the waxworms and if you get superworms again, don't put them in the fridge if you did that before (not saying you did, but some people do and it doesn't end well).

Aliza

The nice thing about mealworms is that you can put a bunch in the bowl and they can stay there for awhile. Put some feeders in and if the gecko eats them all right away, put in more. If it never seems to finish that amount of feeders put in less. Don't bother with the waxworms and if you get superworms again, don't put them in the fridge if you did that before (not saying you did, but some people do and it doesn't end well).

Aliza
Yeah I did put the waxworms and superworms in the fridge lol. Not that it's funny but it's funny you said that. Yes I kept them overnight and took them out in the morning. Thank you!

Visit our friends