Evil plan

tyler407

Alright here's my back story. I've got a 2 year old bearded dragon named Phoenix. A 6 month old ball python named kalua, and a pitbull named iris.

I'm 21 years old work full time and take care of my animals full time, I've got two little brothers 7 and 8 years old and they both want leopard geckos. First they wanted bearded dragons but I showed them the work and effort it takes and now they don't want it so much aha.

I have a strong gut feeling I will be caring for the two geckos because my step mom isn't the brightest,

So my evil plan is to buy them both adult females because I feel a baby is to fragile for them and quick. Which will be there's. But I plan on buying myself an adult male and keeping it in a tank I have. And then breeding them for both the experience and joy of having animals.

Should I just do normals. Or what's a relatively cheap morph that would give good offspring

I would breed bearded dragons however Phoenix has such a personality I don't know if I want to have "mini Phoenix's"

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you breed normals, will people buy normals? I recommend getting a male tangerine albino and 2 nice females, at least one with nice tangerine coloring and one either albino or het for albino, Then you can get some tangerines, albinos and tangerine albinos.

My problem with bearded dragon breeding is that they lay large clutches, there will be a lot of babies demanding a lot of food and nipping each other if kept together and a lot of offspring to sell (many of whom will end up on craigslist when people realize how big they get and how much space they need).

Aliza

tyler407

If you breed normals, will people buy normals? I recommend getting a male tangerine albino and 2 nice females, at least one with nice tangerine coloring and one either albino or het for albino, Then you can get some tangerines, albinos and tangerine albinos.

My problem with bearded dragon breeding is that they lay large clutches, there will be a lot of babies demanding a lot of food and nipping each other if kept together and a lot of offspring to sell (many of whom will end up on craigslist when people realize how big they get and how much space they need).

Aliza

Good idea for the geckos. I've personally always loved the albinos. By any chance if I got a female albino and say a normal male would the offspring have a chance of albino?

I've successfully owned and raised many reptiles but never bread them and i would like to experience that haha. I will read up on morph genetics.

And as far as beardies that's why I don't really have an interest for that reason. And because if I have trouble selling they grow fast and big. Leopards can be housed in ten gallons or even tubs for awhile

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Albino is recessive, meaning that the gecko needs to have a gene from each parent to be albino. An albino bred to a normal will produce all normal looking geckos, each het for albino. Breeding an albino to a het albino (looks normal but has an albino gene) will produce statistically 50% albinos and 50% albino hets. Be aware that with leopard geckos there are 3 albino strains and crossing them will not only not produce visual albinos, but it will be confusing as to which albino strains they have,

Aliza

tyler407

Albino is recessive, meaning that the gecko needs to have a gene from each parent to be albino. An albino bred to a normal will produce all normal looking geckos, each het for albino. Breeding an albino to a het albino (looks normal but has an albino gene) will produce statistically 50% albinos and 50% albino hets. Be aware that with leopard geckos there are 3 albino strains and crossing them will not only not produce visual albinos, but it will be confusing as to which albino strains they have,

Aliza

What morph would you recommend to start a breeding project/small business. Not so much looking for money I have a daytime job haha. But what 1 male-2 females would you get to start out

Visit our friends