Exo Terra Size and CG size question

LeoFan

Can anyone tell me the adequate size for a adult crested gecko in a Exo Terra or Zoo Med tank? Will the 18x18x24 be adequate?

Another question is, a local petstore privatley owned who usually does a great job at animal care is selling crested geckos that are litterally the size of my girly pinkey.

They seem to to healthy, alert, and there is CGD in the cage, but I worry about taking one home that is that small.

Khrysty

Cresties are small as hatchlings and they don't grow as quickly as leopard geckos. As long as they're eating there's no reason you couldn't take them home.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
these guys are born pretty small, and since they are such slow growers, they could be a month old. But an enclosure that size is over kill for a baby who would do much better in a medium sized kritter keeper until around 10g. An adult can easily live in a 15 gallon high aquarium, I feel the 12 x 12 x 18 ecos (about 11 gallons) is a big on the small side for an adult, but they can live in them. I just feel a 15 high is a much better choice in size. the 18 x 18 x 24 can easily house 3 adult females in it, so it can very easily house a single adult. An 18 x 18 x 18 exo could house 2 adult females. I really liek this cage here, I just bought 4 of them, they are equal to about 18 gallons and the perfect size for an adult gecko
http://aquaterras.com/images/Fresh Air Acrylic Atrium.jpg

LeoFan

That is really funny you posted that Darkrider, because that was the type of terrarium my last CG was housed in. But I bought it used, and it was definatley beat up.

I plan on keeping (IF I get a baby) in a cricket keeper too, I just can't beleive they are so small I guess! They look like newborns! lol :)

I really want to get a Exo Terra though, because I am a killer for looks as this will be going into my living room, and will hopefully be a planted tank (Hopefully!)

Thanks so much!

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
well I would def go for the 18 x 18 x 18 or the 18 x 18 x 24 exo then over the 12 x 12 x 18 because once you plant it, the tank would only be about 9 gallons. I have a planted exo, the 12 x 12 x 18 for my p.kochi. I really wanted a planted tank and decided to go with a phelsuma species for one. Once she is large enough and I get her a boyfriend, she will be moving into an 18 x 18 x 18 or the 24 exo planted.

Visit our friends