eye deformities in leopard gecko gone after shedding

vankirksleos

so my first hatchlings right eye looked dried out with no pupil and looked really bad till its first shed now it looks perfect I can't see any problems with it's eyelids and it can see okay now as far as I can tell has anyone else experienced this Im baffled I will report back with any changes just wondering if anyone has experienced this sort of thing

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have definitely had this happen. I had one born in April with one eye seeming to be missing. I kept moistening it and after a few sheds I could see the eye (I posted the thread about it called "was blind but now I see"). I had a few geckos last season who had significant eyelid problems but were able to overcome them with frequent moistening. Someone else on the forum posted a picture of a gecko that was born with no eyelid but developed one. The most dramatic issue like this for me is a gecko I posted about on another forum who has multiple congenital anomalies including small and underdeveloped eyes. She is 9 months old and only a few months ago did we think that maybe 1 eye was working. The other eye had a lump around it and was small and sunken in. Today we had the lump excised which turned out to be mucous, possibly from a malformed tear duct and when the owner looked at the eye in the light, it seems to be fully formed as well. It really pays to persist with these little guys who have eye deformities because they sometimes do clear up. Just keep an eye (so to speak) on your little one because it may dry up a bit a few days after the shed.

Aliza

vankirksleos

thanks Aliza I did just look again and I think the eyelid wont quite close all the way but like you said I am gonna be persistant I think it will be okay I will know soon I hope this was the first shed so with time the little one may grow out of it

vankirksleos

so the little gecko is keeping his eyelid shut now its completely shut I haven't seen it open but then again I was not around today for more than an hour so but he did eat today so so far so good

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I would recommend putting a drop of water on your finger and dripping it on the eye. Do this a few times a day. It helps keep the eye moist and seems to encourage the gecko to keep the eye open. If you're really worried about keeping things sterile you could use saline solution and an eye dropper but I have done fine with my finger and the water dish.

Aliza

Misstasha

i have that with two of my leos, one of them has one small eye (id assume a juvenile or hatchling eye) and the other is a large adult sized eye... You can tell she cant see as well as my other leos with normal eyes.. My other one had a incubator flux or something, and in the corner of the eye its weird looking hard to explain lol... Shes got some weird eyes, but is very beautiful (shes actually one of my favs :p) either way, I jus wanted to say I had a similar problem but mine didn't get fixed with a shed :( Oh wells !!

Visit our friends