Eye Infections?!?

Geckomaster743

These last two months have been crazy for me. Well in the matter of Eye infections. As of right now I have 3 Geckos that are having some form of eye problem.

Neo - Has had this going on for a while, He seems to be improving but at a very slow rate, He still uses his eyes to catch his worms but mainly uses senses like touch to know where the worm is. So when it touches his leg he bites in that direction.

Eclipse - This is probably the most recent. I'm not sure of the cause but shes using a lamp that emites a Bright white light. I'm not sure if it bothers her eye's but one of the two eyes she has, Has this weird thing forming around it. Kind of like inflamed flesh. What I just said right there probably made it sound like its a lot worse then it is but it does look like the eye has some thing forming on it which is closing in around the eye. Her pupil doesnt respond to light as easy so I continue to do pupil tests to see if it is getting better or worse. Could she just have dry eyes? And If so should I just apply a few drops of water or do I need some real drops.

Achilles - I've had this big boy for almost 3 Years and suddenly after a bad shed he has problems opening his eyes. He did have shed on it and when I went to the NARBC Reptile Show I saw Landen there ( Former Active GT Member ), and he advised that I get it moist and get the shed off with tweezers. And I did do that, so now hes able to open both eyes with ease and hopefully with out pain but he for some reason prefers not to use his eyes, Mainly the right one, He doesnt like to hunt so I occasionaly have to force feed him, Hes gotten super lazy, Though I havent seen a weight decrease. Any idea on what I should do?

- Thanks Guys :3

Amanda1

3 Year Member
From what I've read, eye infections usually start when something gets stuck in their eye and leads to a bacterial infection. So I doubt lighting could be a cause, unless the problem is something more similar to welder's burn. You could try some Zoo Med Turtle Eye Drops, which are available at most pet stores. Of course a vet is the best option, but I know you're a bit limited in that respect.

More information:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-341326.html

Caleb C

They often stop eating if it gets cold during winter, my geckos sometimes eat one or two every couple of days during cold months. After shedding, they seem to go back to normal again, force feeding usually just stresses them further.

Geckomaster743

Sorry I'm so late to respond guys, It didn't notify me when you guys replied. Yeah I didn't exactly force feed but he did open his mouth and it put the worm in it. He hadn't eaten in 4 - 5 Days, and I didn't want him to lose any body fat. He ate the worm on his own though, Amanda i'll try those turtle drops. I looked up a few different things on a few different forums, and I wasn't the only one having this problem. Apparently it could be a vitamin deficiency. I put in some Vitamin's and the conditions of the eyes are starting to look better. If the problem persists though I will get some eye drops.

Rylee

3 Year Member
Its good that they are starting to look better! Keep us updated!

Geckomaster743

Erm. I have started giving out Vitamins and the eyes are starting to look better. Neo's eye damage may be perm though. Which really sucks. I still have a chance with his eyes.

Visit our friends