fair lizards :((

geckofreak24

yesterday i went to the fair, and instead of giving away goldfish as prizes, they had super skinny iguanas, water dragons, and even some night lizards, it was horrible, and it was only like 60 degrees at night and they had no light source what so ever. besides the obvious fact of it being extremely cruel, it was also irresponsible, iguanas can grow 6 feet, and they are just giving them to uneducated people, this disgusts me, what do you think i could do to stop this?
by the way this was in traverse city michigan

snowgyre

I thought this was illegal now? I know it's no longer allowed in New York? I guess it's decided by local state or county governments. But yes, it's a disgusting practice, as is selling iguanas in stores along beach boardwalks.

geckofreak24

i know, and what's even sadder is that they say that the iguanas wont get much bigger then a few inches, and they can live fine off of ice burg lettuce.

T&KBrouse

K, the Crazy Snake Lady
They did this last year at the state fair and afterwards, the petstores were over run with people trying to give them away.
Its absolutely horrific that not only the vendors would do this, but that the fair sponsors could support such a practice.
I'm not sure if they will be doing it again or what can be done to stop them legally should they try to, but I wonder what a big, huge protest that can get media coverage could do?
If enough people boycott the fair and are loud about it, that may make the powers that be rethink who their vendors are.
(Probably just my flower child hippy coming out, but, hey, its worth a try, right?)

_Sam_

I had a few kids come into the shop with their mom to buy an iguana a few weeks ago. they'd been trying to win one at the fair and couldn't, so they stopped in the shop to see if they could buy one. After i explained the *actual* care for them, they decided against it. (which doesnt really matter, cause we were out of iguanas anyway- we hardly carry them).
its sick and i hate it. people shouuld never be allowed to do this.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
things like this are just helping the fuel for trying to ban reptiles. One of our festivals here was giving them away, my store managers son won one and he was really pissed. It was his churches festival but they only order the carnie crew, theyr bring their own stuff including the prize animals. I told him to tells his church to inform the carnies not to bring live animals. As much as my stomer manager didnt want the animal, I had to walk him through a $150 purchase to set up an animal he doesnt even want, he tried to get me to take it and I refused. But he is compasionate and wasnt going to keep it and not house it correctly.

Then previous years when I worked for a pet store, not only did people bring them in, we got phone calls about large greens lizards in peoples yard, and parents getting ticked off they kid won it and now they have to spend a fortune. They used to even give away hermite crabs which parents were ticked to realize thats $30 to set up for some little thing their kid won. People need to push banning live animals at carnivals, including goldfish, it is just cruel for both the animals, and the hidden costs to the people winning them.

Palor

Chaotic Nights Reptile
No such thing as a free Iguana.

I too thought this practice was illegal everywhere. It is depressing to hear it is still going on in some places.

sunshinegeckofarm

Obsessed with Leos
heck what happen to stuffed toys and lil cheap gadgets and toys to those that actually won the rigged games. thats just really sick that they would do that to reptiles, I have seen fish and won fish in the past but they die so quick even in the right care in my case but something thats lighting, special food and other such not so cheap items in order to have a healthy happy reptile they are just stupid. i hope this practice gets banned reptiles dont need any more bad reputation than what is already there in the minds of many brainless individuals. im glad i didnt see that I would have started a big mess about that

Danielle

Visit our friends