Fat Tail Geckos

vctkiller

Ruler Of the WORLD!!
I've been thinking about getting me some Fattys :main_laugh: and just have a few questions. I've been researching about the temps, and they vary. from 85 to 92, and then nighttime temps and that. Is it fine with a constant temperature on the heat side of about 90ish with no drops at night?
Also the humidity differences, I know are different. Will providing just a moist hide with some moist paper towel like how I set up my leopard gecko tanks be fine? Or do I also need to spray down their tank as well? Thanks! :main_robin:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I keep them at the same temperature as leopard geckos. In order to provide more humidity I have mine in planted tanks with coco fiber and I do mist every morning, partly for the humidity and partly for the plants. I'm sure there are people who keep them on tile or paper towels and hopefully they'll chime in here.

Aliza

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
In order to provide more humidity I have mine in planted tanks with coco fiber and I do mist every morning, partly for the humidity and partly for the plants. I'm sure there are people who keep them on tile or paper towels and hopefully they'll chime in here.

Aliza

Aliza- Id love to see pictures of your set ups. I'd much rather have mine housed naturally than in bins.

Currently mine are house in 28 qt tubs, hot side ranges from 88 to 92, and I mist the paper towel twice a week. I have a thermostat, and I have it set for one consistant temperature, I dont intentionally have the hot side drop temperature, but it does?

Oh and also...they always have a moist hide with damp coconut fiber.

Last edited:

vctkiller

Ruler Of the WORLD!!
Aliza- Id love to see pictures of your set ups. I'd much rather have mine housed naturally than in bins.

Currently mine are house in 28 qt tubs, hot side ranges from 88 to 92, and I mist the paper towel twice a week. I have a thermostat, and I have it set for one consistant temperature, I dont intentionally have the hot side drop temperature, but it does?

Thanks, basically how I keep my leopard geckos just with a misting once or twice a week?

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Exactly...I have them in the same rack, just mist them, thats the only difference in care that they get :)

cinderbirdswing

sticky toes
Exactly...I have them in the same rack, just mist them, thats the only difference in care that they get :)

I keep my fats and leos in racks (in the same racks actually :) ) and the misting is really the only difference. Babies and Laying females get layhides/humid hides, everyone else gets misted 3-5x a week. They will run out and start drinking, it's super cute. My enclosures are very good at keeping humidity but I do give them a dry-out cycle to avoid any mold or bad things.

My leos are misted less often. I also give a few geckos a bath or soak if they want it or enjoy it (i have a few who HATE the bath so they get misted more often).

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member

I've posted this before, but here's my main AFT enclosure as it looked when I first set it up. I've moved things around a bit. The tank divider is because the smaller section to the left has no drainage layer and has a UTH.
The picture was taken 3 years ago or so. Currently, the plastic lay box has been replaced by a ceramic one set into the substrate, the haworthia plant is much bigger (there are actually 2), and the jade and AFrican Violet plants didn't do well. I just added a hens and chicks plant and we'll see how that does.

Aliza

AFTCageTop.jpg

thinlizzy

Fat-tailed geckos are either completely full or healthy...yes?

Or, possibly, fat-tailed geckos are something I've never seen.

Fat-bottomed girls I'm somewhat familiar with because they make the rockin' world go 'round! Just like a gecko...when they are through eating; they crawl back in their cave.

Simplicity at its finest!

:)

Last edited:

Visit our friends