fat tail living viv?

neubauer geckos

Anthony Neubauer
i just got my first pair of fat tails,and i wanted to make them a living vivrium,but i have some questions.first,can i use all eco earth substrate so i can just plant the plants directly in the substrate?and would pothos plants and bromileads be good?any other advice is greatly appreciated!thanks in advance!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here's what I've done: 2/3 of the tank has hydroton clay balls, layer of mesh and eco earth with plants put directly into the substrate. 1/3 of the tank (separated by a piece of plexiglass) has eco earth only with a UTH underneath and ceramic hides (that I made) with ceramic bottoms set into the substrate. Since I was going for less of a "tropical" and more of a savannah effect, I have used haworthia and jade plants. I tried African violets 3 times and though theoretically they should work, it failed each time. I'll include a picture of my viv as I made it about 2-3 years ago in a few minutes. It's changed a bit since then.

ALiza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here's my fat tail viv:

AFTCageTop.jpg

Aliza

neubauer geckos

Anthony Neubauer
I will be going for more of a tropical look,even though they're from a more Savannah habitat.I was thinking I'll just put in some coco fibre for substrate.I'll only have a thin layer where the heat pad will go,and the rest will have enough to support 2-3 pothos plants.will this work?thanks!and your setup looks really nice,but is not quite what I'm going for.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It should work as long as you can provide enough drainage for plants. In my second AFT viv I decided to just push the clay balls to one side so as to leave the other side with just coco fiber so the UTH heat will reach. I would really recommend drainage unless you want to mound coco fiber around potted plants.

Aliza

neubauer geckos

Anthony Neubauer
What Is the point of the drainage?if it's for the health of the plant,then it's unnecessary with pothos because I have had 2 pothos directly planted into Eco earth in my cresteds 10 gallon.they've been in there for a few months,and are thriving.I have also done this in various tarantula and scorpion cages without problem.

HepCatMoe

Escaped A.I.
p.s. i had haworthia in one of my tanks, and it looked awesome. its just the right size to make the geckos look like little dinosaurs.

Visit our friends