Fat Tail not eating

Piper3

My AFT is going on a month not eating. He seems relatively active, but is losing some of his tail mass. I have tried force feeding which is not working. I have also tried everything I can think of to make sure his environment is proper. Any ideas?

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
I've found that just leaving them alone for a while works best. I had a whole group of het zulu's go off food for around 45 days recently and I left them alone, not trying to feed them, but made sure they had plenty of water. I slowly began offering 1 food item and leaving it in there for an hour. If they ate it great, if not I removed it. Eventually they all started eating and now they are chowing down like no tomorrow. I wouldn't worry too much, as it's pretty common for these little guys to do this. Hopefully he'll start eating soon for you.

As a side note, I treat all my AFT's with panacur once a year. I gave these guys two doses while they were off feed in hopes that it would kill any parasites that might be keeping them from having an appetite. Whether or not that's what got them to feeling better and eating, I can't tell you, but it might be worth a shot to go to your vet and see if they could check him out for you. I have a larger sized collection of AFT's and I treat all my animals myself, but I would highly recommend a Vet to treat your animals if you've never done it.

Piper3

Thank you so much for your response...he did finally eat tonight, not much, but it's a start!

cherishedtiger

My newest female went almost 2 months without eating. And I tried everything, until I finally just left her alone. I found out, she was a true nocturnal eater, light of any kind made her not want to eat. Then she laid eggs, and eventually just went with the program of my others and started eating when they did.
Is yours new? Or have you had him a while and not eating is a sudden thing?

I am new to this myself, but the best advice I was ever given was just to leave them alone they will eat when they are ready. Pretty much what wild west just said... :D

But if this is a sudden thing, yeah, just take WWG's advice, I think they are pretty reliable in their experience :)

Visit our friends