Faux rock back ground

Here are some pictures of the faux rock backgrounds I made a while ago for my leos. Basically I glued some Styrofoam together and carved away. Then I added grout and allowed to dry then painted with non toxic paints.

I am well aware of the risk that is why I feed them in separate containers. Thank you for your concern. Sand just gives the tank a more natural feeling and is easier to clean than the other substrates.

MiamiLeos

that looks really cool! i have been thinking about doing that for my leos. good job with the background :)

ill let Reptar have the sand debate ;)

I have been keeping my geckos on sand for maybe 6 years and have never experienced a case of impaction. I plan on eventually making a large faux rock piece to fill the whole cage, and then there will be no sand. But sand works for me and has never caused me any problems, so I will stick to what does best for me. Also they do not lick everything; there are chemo receptors on their tongues so they are "smelling" the air. This allows them to find food, mates, other geckos, and predators. The only time that they would lick everything is when there is water and they are licking that up.

Last edited:

neubauer geckos

Anthony Neubauer
I am well aware of the risk that is why I feed them in separate containers. Thank you for your concern. Sand just gives the tank a more natural feeling and is easier to clean than the other substrates.

sand is not natural too them.they are from pakistan in the parts with hardened and compacted clay so sand isn't natural at all too them.it is only natural "looking" to the human eye,not too the gecko.i might just be over protective of my geckos,idk.i am not trying to tell you that you are wrong,i am just saying a fact.

maximusx6910

I understand what you mean they have been living for six years, but impaction can be a build up. No matter where they eat, Reptar is right they do lick everything. It might not happen today, next month. But its a possibility, and it is just a risk. I use the eco carpet not the prettiest, but it is easier to clean and it is safe. So i know there are no problems or chances of impaction.

gmaier19

haha, i like to see where geckos choose to hang out. it has the entire tank to hang out in and it chooses to hide up in the very top left corner by the screen top.

Xylophagous

Very nice, did you seal it at all? Just wondering because Im thinking of making my own structures to put in Amri's tank. Also how is the weight of it? Can you easily pick it up if you need to clean under it? Thanks. And that little tunnel is great :D

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
looks pretty good, the only problem with backgrounds is that you will have feeders get behind it and youl never see them again.

The sand is fine as long as its just a natural sand and not that calci sand stuff.
I have had all of my reptiles on sand since i can remember and have never had any issues. Untruths and misconceptions is all it is.

Last edited:

Neo.Reptiliac

I think that issues with sand and impaction happened when food was fed directly on the sand and adequate heating was not used to help them digest properly. I like the look of it but I don't have any of it in any of my tanks. Yet I have considered it in the past. My very first Leo was on sand now that I think about it. He lived pretty long. Likely would still be alive if it wasn't for my ex killing it.

Like I mentioned in my earlier posts I do not feed my geckos in the cage so I can be sure no sand is eatin. So no prey will wonder around the cage. The total structure weighs maybe 1-2 Lbs. at the most. I took all of the sand out of the cage and placed a 1/2 inch base layer, placed the background on the sand and poured sand around it until it was stirdly. I have two of these and neither of they have fallen over or anything like that. Also if you like the tunnels, I created little tunnels behind and underneath the background so they can hide. I will try to get some pictures of them up.

Visit our friends