Feed certain number of insects or until full

linkj154

I have a 6 month old female leopard gecko. She is 4 and a half inches long and looks like she is at a healthy weight. I feed her 9 or 10 insects every night because I have been following the method of feeding 2 insects for every inch of body length from nose to the base of the tail. She has a big appetite and always wants more. Should I feed her until full or continue feeding 2 insects per inch of length?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
At that size, feed her as much as she will eat. If she eats too much, she may throw up some, but then she'll learn to regulate herself.

Aliza

linkj154

Ok thanks. I did not include the tail in the measurement. I don't know if that should be included. Also what size should I start feeding her 2 insects for every inch of body length?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't really subscribe to number formulas. I just put some crickets in and see what happens. If the gecko eats them all and looks for more, put more in. If it doesn't usually finish the crickets, put less in. I find that really young geckos tend to make many small poops throughout the day. When they get older, they tend to produce a large poop every evening (with some variation). Once that happens, it's a signal to me to start feeding them every other day.

Aliza

linkj154

I have been feeding her as much as she will eat every day for a week. She usually eats about 17 or 18 dubia roaches a day. She is pooping the same as she always has, once every other day. at her age and size it's probably too soon to start feeding every other day. Is there another way besides frequency of poops to determine when to start feeding every other day?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some people suggest to start every other day at 25 grams. If she's happy to eat every day, you could stay with that until she seems less hungry.

Aliza

Visit our friends