Feeder Insects

Hi so Izzy currently eats crickets, giant mealworms and regular mealworms.
Would it be okay if I offer Izzy crickets, mealworms and Superworms? I can't do dubia roaches because my mom doesn't want them in the house, waxworms I can't do except for every once in a while because they can become addicted and hornworms my mom doesn't like the look of them so she doesn't want them here either. Should I feed Izzy as much as she would eat if I feed her everyday or only feed her like 2 crickets and 5 mealworms/superworms if I get them? Any advice??

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Crickets are fine to add as a feeder. Put in 4 and see what happens. If they all get eaten, consider putting in more the next time. Most of the advice says to remove anything that's not eaten within 15 minutes. I have found that, while having 1 gecko in a cage with 100 crickets isn't a good idea, if there are a few crickets still in there it's fine.

Aliza

Crickets are fine to add as a feeder. Put in 4 and see what happens. If they all get eaten, consider putting in more the next time. Most of the advice says to remove anything that's not eaten within 15 minutes. I have found that, while having 1 gecko in a cage with 100 crickets isn't a good idea, if there are a few crickets still in there it's fine.

Aliza
Thank you but my question was are crickets, mealworms and Superworms okay to feed her as a staple diet aka like everyday or just whenever she eats I mean.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The conventional wisdom is that the more variety the better and in theory I agree. Practically, it's not always easy for us to keep a variety of feeders and some of my geckos like one feeder a lot more than any other. In answer to your question, crickets mealworms and superworms are fine as a staple diet. I offer crickets and superworms on Mondays and crickets dusted with Repashy on Thursdays. I offer the superworms to everyone on Mondays though about 1/4 of the geckos aren't interested. One of the geckos is exclusively interested in superworms and there are other who will eat them sometimes and not other times. So far everyone is thriving.

Aliza

Visit our friends