Feeding dry CGD powder?

GeckoMamaArle

Hello! Just curious if anyone has been feeding their day geckos dry powder rather than wet mixed powder? Let me know your experience with this and whether or not they prefer dry over wet. Dry would just be so much less mess and worry for me.

TheGeckoDekko

Day geckos eat sweet nectar in the wild so the best option would probably be wet powder.

Also, I'd be concerned about them aspirating the dry powder and getting an infection from that. I'd also be concerned about the dry powder sticking to or coating the inside of their mouths and causing a problem that way.

I think what's best for them is to feed them wet CGD powder.

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It seems to me that eating dry CGD would be kind of like eating concentrated soup without the water you're supposed to add. I'm currently feeding CGD to 11 cages of geckos (including cresties, gargoyles, a leachie and 2 different species of day gecko. I mix it up twice a week for everyone and it goes pretty well with minimal mess.

Aliza

GeckoMamaArle

Day geckos eat sweet nectar in the wild so the best option would probably be wet powder.

Also, I'd be concerned about them aspirating the dry powder and getting an infection from that. I'd also be concerned about the dry powder sticking to or coating the inside of their mouths and causing a problem that way.

I think what's best for them is to feed them wet CGD powder.
I've had a lot of experience with day geckos and when feeding CGD I do feed them wet, however my neon day gecko hatchlings tend to fall into the wet CGD and fearing for their safety I usually feed dry. Hence me being curious what other keepers have done. So far I haven't had any issues and they are healthy, one prefers the dry over the wet. Thank you for the reply! All feedback helps.

GeckoMamaArle

It seems to me that eating dry CGD would be kind of like eating concentrated soup without the water you're supposed to add. I'm currently feeding CGD to 11 cages of geckos (including cresties, gargoyles, a leachie and 2 different species of day gecko. I mix it up twice a week for everyone and it goes pretty well with minimal mess.

Aliza
Thanks for the reply! As far as feeding dry there isn't any evidence so far in my experience or any other keepers experience giving both wet and dry that either poses any health risks. I'm mainly inquiring what others have tried and if they've had any issues with it or if not, cause I don't like to do things based off opinion only unless there is evidence. Specially when it comes to the kids! ☺️

Visit our friends