Feeding my Lygodactylus williamsi

jobymoby123

3 Year Member
Picked up my little blue dude just over a week ago. Tried pinhead crickets which he ate but they escaped the terrarium easily. Then gave him wingless fruit flies. Which he ate like crazy. I am having trouble keeping enough. I also put a small mix of fruit puree and calcium which he did lick at but now uses as a fruit fly smorgass board. I was wondering if anyone had suggetions for when I cant find pinheads and fruitflies. I am trying to establish a fruit fly culture with the repashy superfly it is just slow going.
Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1343159309648.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343159309648.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 94

Caleb C

Are you using hydei or melanogaster? Melanogaster generally breeds faster, so you have less to worry about. Tbh, both crickets and fruit flies are a pain in the butt, but since you have superfly, it should be alot easier. Try to see if there are froggers or vendors of those in your area, since there seem to be no reptile enthusiasts where I live, I have to buy petco $10 fruit fly cultures when i'm out.

jobymoby123

3 Year Member
I have no clue but local store got more cultures in this aft. Istarted a culture of "wingless" last week and today I started another "turkish gliders". Little guy has been jumping all over catching the gliders.

Styx

The smallest size carried at some of my local pet stores are small enough for my adult L. Williamsi to eat. Mine also love to eat the wax worm moths. I buy the waxies in bulk, let them pupate, and then feed the moths to my geckos. Other than crix, moths, flies, and crested gecko diet, mine don't get much else.

You could try phoenix worms. Mine were less than thrilled by them but it's worth a shot.

I get my crix from Coldbloods.com if not from the local store and my flies (and the culture supplies) from Snailtail.com

Rylee

3 Year Member
No way! Haha these are my favorite species! Too mad mine passed away about a year ago. I fed mine crickets and honey, he did fine (until he got crushed by his new log hide :( ).

jobymoby123

3 Year Member
Oohhh, poor sad lizzy.
Thanks for tips everyone when the flies were put in yesterday he was running around all over catching them. Fun to watch but felt a little guilty making him wait a day for food:+(

Caleb C

Haha, gliders are more of a pain, since they tend to escape more. I got all the supplies from random stores around my city. Culturing cups from dollar tree, brewers yeast from The Vitamin Shoppe, potato flakes from 99c store, and found some cloth thing, so i hot glued it on the lid for air exchange. Used cardboard for more surface area. Worked for a couple years.
I hate crickets, they smell. Never getting another fat tail that doesn't eat mealworms.

Visit our friends