Female Doesn't Want To Breed

zachdarner9

Hey all,
I just tried to breed my adult male and female leopard geckos. I took the female and placed her on the opposite end of the males tank to where he was. I let them eventually walk up to eachother. The male started off shaking his tail really fast and then trying to nip at her tail (very gently, and I've read this was normal). Suddenly, the very skittish female that I had known my gecko as seemed to get very aggressive. She started shaking her tail too, but much more slowly than the male. She nipped at him a few times, not actually making contact but scaring him. He then walked away and they didn't interact anymore. I took the female out and put her back in her tank. I'm assuming this just means the female isn't currently ovulating from what I've researched. Would I be right to assume this and why wouldn't she be ovulating in the months they usually ovulate?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Have you looked at your female's belly to see if she's ovulating? It would look like two pink spots in the mid-abdomen. Some females need a little time to get used to the idea and some just won't tolerate it. Try putting them together and give them a little time. If the female resists the male and he backs off, they may be OK in the same enclosure for awhile, and things may change.

Aliza

zachdarner9

Have you looked at your female's belly to see if she's ovulating? It would look like two pink spots in the mid-abdomen. Some females need a little time to get used to the idea and some just won't tolerate it. Try putting them together and give them a little time. If the female resists the male and he backs off, they may be OK in the same enclosure for awhile, and things may change.

Aliza
I'll try to see if she has the spots. I'm colorblind so I'll have to ask a family member to look for me. I will try again with a longer breeding this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Unless you're completely monochrome (and even in that case), it's a question of contrast between the color of the belly (white) and other things that look a little different.f

Aliza

Visit our friends