Females Attacking Male at breeding attempt

Leah's Leos

so today I put my male leopard gecko in with two of my females and they showed no interest in each other for awhile but eventually he tried to breed with my largest female, Piper. He went to bite her tail in the way that they are supposed to while breeding and she ran off really fast. He did the same thing with my slightly smaller female, Reyna, only he went for her neck. She also ran off. I don't understand why neither of them would take to breeding, I cooled them and everything. My male, Percy, was trying to escape the girls' viv after they both turned him down and so I took him out when I noticed that and I saw that he was bleeding in two spots. One on his head and one bite on his shoulder. I know that the males will bite the females to encourage breeding but I can't figure out why they attacked him. I do know for sure that Reyna and Piper are definitely girls and Percy is definitely a boy so that's not the issue. Can someone please help me figure out how to breed them safely or if they won't even breed at all? It is quite disappointing because I have put a lot of money into an incubator and a rack for the hatchlings and now I'm afraid that I won't have any babies to do continue my project with. If it makes any difference none of them have ever bred before, Percy is over five years old and the girls are both adults but I do not know how many years old they are.

Thank you for any advice you can give,
Leah

indyana

Females will not accept a male until they are ovulating. If you want to minimize the conflict, you should monitor your females for signs of ovulating and only introduce the male when they are ready. You can do an internet search for pictures of ovulation in females, and there's a thread in this forum with some pictures.
http://geckoforums.net/f131-leopard-gecko-breeding/56343-2.htm

If you see your females rejecting the male, you can immediately remove him to prevent injury. They aren't going to change their minds until they are ready to mate.

DrCarrotTail

Like indyana said they won't accept the male unless they are ovulating. Check out the pictures and check your females tummies. If you think you see ovulates then try again. When they are ready they will lie down and let him do his thing. Before they are ready they will hurt or possibly kill him if he doesn't get the hint and leave them alone.

Visit our friends