Fertile/infertile eggs in same clutch?

staceyleigh

Ok my 2nd female a Mack Snow Eclipse laid her first clutch last night. I candled them both and 1 was pink with a tiny vein, and the other looked yellow to me. I put them both in the incubator at 86 degrees. Is it still possible for the yellow one to pink up? Is it common for 1 egg to be fertile and the other infertile in the same clutch? This is her 1st clutch so I will be very happy if I even get 1 baby out of this, just curious!

tb144050

^^^ I would very much like to know people's experience with this as well. If possible, can every please provide their data for 1st clutch fertility:

1) Is this the female's first year breeding?
2) How many days were the eggs carried (from mating to laying)?
3) How many were laid?
4) How many were fertile (out of only the FIRST clutch)?

Thanks!! :D

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
Ok my 2nd female a Mack Snow Eclipse laid her first clutch last night. I candled them both and 1 was pink with a tiny vein, and the other looked yellow to me. I put them both in the incubator at 86 degrees. Is it still possible for the yellow one to pink up? Is it common for 1 egg to be fertile and the other infertile in the same clutch? This is her 1st clutch so I will be very happy if I even get 1 baby out of this, just curious!

Yes, it can happen. I personally don't candle my eggs. Incubate until it is obvious that they are no good....flat and moldy. Last year, I had an ugly egg, but it never did deflate. It started oozing, and I was sure it was bad. Hatched out a beauty. So never give up!

GulfCoastGeckos

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't have the energy to go through all my statistics right now, but I've had my first time females all along the conuum:
--one female laid at least 5 clutches, all infertrile (and few of them int he lay box)
--two females laid 20-21 eggs and all hatched
--it's not unusual most years for the first few total clutches to go bad. This season I have 7 leopard gecko eggs in the incubator from 3 different females. A fourth laid her first 2 eggs in the dry hide and they didn't make it.

Aliza

Visit our friends