Finally... Coleonyx elegans!!!

N

Nathan Hall

Alligator Lizard habitat
My favorite lizard ever! I lived in Austin in the late 70's and early 80's and found them all around our house. Man, I can't wait.
G.liocephalus1.jpg

Sorry to go off-topic. I always do:D

joshwilson

JawsReptiles
Hey Nathan, I do have a few questions, and since I haven't had much luck finding info. on these guys, I thought I would ask here so everyone can see. I set them up just like you said in your first post. They are each in there own 15 quart Sterlite, I have the warm spot at 90, is this good? And also what is the healthy breeding weight/age for them? Is there any preparation to induce breeding, such as cooling period? Also was I correct, I just assumed that both animals came from Hamm, or was it just the female? Thanks again for everything Nathan. And you guys in Texas don't know how good you have it, to get to go out and chase lizards. No such luck here in Wisconsin, its Oct.12 and it is SNOWING outside!

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Nathan Hall said:
Marcia, I'll send yours out on Monday. Your pair is much nicer than his J/K.
I can't imagine anything more beautiful than the ones Josh got... but I want the best ones you have, Nathan! LOL!!!

I'm sooooo excited! I've been waiting a l-o-n-g time for these exquisite creatures!

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nathan Hall

I have the warm spot at 90, is this good?
82-86 is best. 90 is too warm. Ambient should be 78-82 during the day, with a 5+ degree drop at night. If you want, you can keep them a little cooler than mentioned above: 74-76 ambient and 80-82 hot spot. I like to keep them a touch warmer than most.

Your specimens will be ready to breed next season (May). They are sexually mature at 10-12 months. The female will probably ovulate much sooner, but don't let that fool you. Reproduction really takes a toll on the girls, so you want to make sure they have plenty of weight on them. Please shoot me an email to remind me to weigh my breeders.

Those specimens came from a breeder in Slovenia.

They really don't need to be cooled, but you can turn the heat tape down a bit and adjust the photoperiod during the winter months just to cycle the female. They will usually stop laying late in the breeding season even if they aren't cycled.

BTW, you can also mix a little sand in with the peat or coconut fiber to create a loamy substrate. I often add about 25% sand just to loosen it up a bit.

Good luck!

Visit our friends