First Gecko owner advice

Scoottie

Hi I am considering getting Leopard Geckos and would like some advice.

First what size terrarium would be good for a baby to adulthood?

Do I need to feed live insects or can I feed just dried bugs.

My house is 75 degrees what would be the best way for heating and lighting? What wattage would I need for the heating or can I just make do with a heating pad and a thermostat?

The great debate. What substrate would be the best for the gecko?

I will most likely have more questions but these are the questions that come to my head first.

JadedGeckos

Hi ill try to answer your questions as well as i can :)

i wound say for terrarium 60x45x30cm its pretty much standard for a leopard gecko when its an adult but you can allways go bigger if you like. but try not to go too big while they are a baby they can even be fine in a plastic tub for a while since they are so small.

please feed them live insects and gut load them. otherwise they will lose ALOT of nutritious protien and such. if they would even take dried bugs they are pretty picky easters sometimes even with live insects.

you can make do with a heating pad and thermostat. just make sure its 1/3 of the terrarium. and if you dont use UVB supplement calcium D3.

yea substrate is a pure hell if you are gonna to into views from everyone. i myself use Earth mix arid the same as the youtuber ( leopard Gecko ) i just like to use what i see is working. but you can use slate plates. paper towels. newspaper. other than those im not to sure.. since ive not used anything else.

The lizards

Hi I am considering getting Leopard Geckos and would like some advice.

First what size terrarium would be good for a baby to adulthood?

Do I need to feed live insects or can I feed just dried bugs.

My house is 75 degrees what would be the best way for heating and lighting? What wattage would I need for the heating or can I just make do with a heating pad and a thermostat?

The great debate. What substrate would be the best for the gecko?

I will most likely have more questions but these are the questions that come to my head first.
I use a 20 gallon.
You can feed both, however my leos are a lot more interested in live bugs.
A heating pad and thermostat is good.
I use eco earth coconut fiber, it works great. It doesn't cause impaction.
Here's a really good youtube channel with lots of great info

Margi San Diego

I recommend slate or "carpet" substrate for easy cleaning. Paper towels are fine for the same reason but I would avoid newspaper because of ink.
Have fun!

Visit our friends