Flexible Heat Cable Q?

Basshead

So I'm working on building a fake rock setup for a vivarium and was curious about running heat cable. I'd like to run it on the inside of the enclosure, I'm just curious if I can lay it directly on the glass bottom under neath the substrate and foam/grout rock's and hides or if it needs to have a degree of ventilation. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You

Basshead

Also, If I use plastic Tupperware type boxes for the humid hide will I be able to put the heat cable directly under that? Maybe get the microwave safe versions?? The cable will obviously be controlled via thermostat.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As long as you have a thermostat, I think it will be OK with the plastic. I'd recommend running the heat cable outside the enclosure up against the underside of the enclosure for 2 reasons:
--I think the cable should have some heat ventilation
--If something happens and you want to move the cable, it will be a lot easier if it's on the outside of the enclosure.

Aliza

Basshead

Thank you. Appreciate your insight. That is kind of what I was thinking I just wanted to check because I thought it would be cool if the walls on the hot side were radiantly heated as well.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you get long enough heat cable, you could run it under the tank and then snake some up on the outside. I have a bow front tank that has a magnet hide on the side wall and I extended the heat cable to heat that as well.

Aliza

Visit our friends