Flexwatt experienced people please help.

Ehatcher

I recently built a rack and used flexwatt to heat it. i insulated the flexwatt with the connectors that they sent, plus i filled the insulators with silicone and covered the area around the outside of the insulators with silicone. I taped the other end off with a 3 layer thick section of electrical tape.

Now to my problem, When i lay my hand on the flexwatt i feel nothing, but when i put a single finger on the flexwatt i get an semi-intense electrical tingle. Ive also noticed that it also makes a buzzing sound comparible to a fluorescent light when doing this. I wouldnt be worried if it were only one of the tiers doing this, but it happens on all 5 tiers. Does the flexwatt put off a slight electrical current? help, Im stumped.

Russ S

Re-Member
I have been using Flexwatt for almost 10 years and I have personally never experienced anything like this. Sorry but I can't help you.

Ehatcher

Alright... im am COMPLETELY stumped. I turned the Thermostat off of proportional mode and to on/off, and the slight current is gone as well as the buzzing.. :main_huh: :main_huh: :main_huh:

Seems like the current was only there when the temperatures were near the target temperature set to proportional mode.

I have no problem leaving the the thermostat set to on/off because the temperatures only fluctate from 95.5 to 95.0 before it kicks back on.

Last edited:
P

preacher

How wide is the heating tape? How long is the total (in feet) of heating tape are you wireing to the Thermostat? Each Thermostat is rated to a set number of watts, and the heat tape is a set number of watts per foot and the total watts can't be more than the rating of the Thermostat.

When I first built a rack I had a similar problem, I had to much tape (in watts needed) for the Thermostat I was using, I heard the buzzing also. I ended up ruining it.

Don't know if this will help, hope you get it worked out. :)

Ehatcher

the heat tape is 4" wide, the tape is less than 3ft long on each piece... 5 pieces wired parallel. The thermostat is rated up to 500 watts. Heat tape is claimed to be 8 watts per foot.

Vegas_Eric

Hello Ehatcher,

You are well within your thermostats rating. It's rated at 500 Watts just like mine is and with 5 - 3ft sections, you are only using 120 watts and for what it's worth, only 1 amp of current. It's only loafing at this point and not even close to breaking a sweat.

Your only using a 2 prong power cord running to your flexwatt and since it's not grounded, you can get a small electrical tingle if the shiny side of your flexwatt heat tape is facing up and you lay your finger over it. That is completely normal. You would NOT feel this if you just place your finger on the darker (carbon for resistance to make heat) lines that run down the middle from side to side.

This tingle (mild buzz) is normal and it's capacitively coupling to your finger through the thin plastic layer covering the flat shiny conductor.

To get rid of this if it annoys you, you can cover your heat tape with contact paper like you would line your kitchen drawers with. This will also protect your heat tape from future damage over time from sliding your tubs over the top of it, gently wearing away at that thin plastic layer of covering on the top of your flexwatt.

You could also run electrical tape down the entire length of the flexxwatt (3 ft. per side) along the shiny conductor on EACH side and cover it up. That will also do the trick to.

Don't worry, that buzz will never make it through the plastic layer of your tubs and crispy critter your Leo's... LOL there is enough insulation there to protect them.

Hope that helps,

Eric

Visit our friends