For those of you that house clutch mates together.

Simon Mayor

Leopard Gecko Lover
This years my first breeding season. So far I have 6 successfully hatched and 2 more on with way with my female still gravid. The first hatchlings are roughly 6 weeks old, and about the same size (there is only 2 grams in weight difference). At what age would you seperate them?

I've heard that you can usually get a good indication of males at about 4 months, and from what I understand this is when they begin to sexually mature. Do you wait for then (or just before) or should I be seperating them a lot earlier? I have back up tanks on the ready should there be any issues but I've found it considerably easier keeping them together for general maintenance (I monitor their weights, what they eat and what they poop regularly), the tanks are also plenty big enought for 2 geckos.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I keep clutchmates together as long as they're about the same size and not hurting each other. I produce nearly all females so the male thing isn't an issue. I do have one that looks male at the moment but it's only about 2 months old. I'll be separating him by 4-5 months. When the hatchlings get bigger, I often put 4 together in a bigger "grow out" tank so they have a bit more room. So far in my 9th season it's working fine.

Aliza

PDDM

I'll generally start separating them once they're 6 months of age, so long as (like acpart said) they are the same size and I see no aggression between the two. However, it really depends. Example this year I had a clutch of eclipses together and I fed them well (in my opinion) but even though they were the exact same age one decided to eat the others tail (they were only a month old at the time!). So, Id say play it by ear. Whenever you have multiple animals sharing the same living space you should be checking on them regularly. Sometimes accidents happen and if you want to avoid injuries from happening and you have the space available.. I'd say house everyone individually.

Visit our friends